The Student Room Group

Transferring university in 3rd/4th year

So I'm currently in my second year of university doing French and Spanish, and I've come to the realisation that I'm just not enjoying the actual university. I'm still very interested in my degree subjects, it's just that the way that this university teaches it and how it's organised is not doing me any favours. I'm due to go on my year abroad in October (not organised by the uni) but I feel like I'd much rather transfer somewhere closer to home to save money and to save my sanity. Would it be possible to transfer uni whilst i'm on my year abroad and then complete my degree when I'm back in my final year? The exact same degree that is

For reference I'm wanting to transfer from Warwick to Manchester, and my A-Level grades exceed the entry requirements for the course
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by mka_
So I'm currently in my second year of university doing French and Spanish, and I've come to the realisation that I'm just not enjoying the actual university. I'm still very interested in my degree subjects, it's just that the way that this university teaches it and how it's organised is not doing me any favours. I'm due to go on my year abroad in October (not organised by the uni) but I feel like I'd much rather transfer somewhere closer to home to save money and to save my sanity. Would it be possible to transfer uni whilst i'm on my year abroad and then complete my degree when I'm back in my final year? The exact same degree that is

For reference I'm wanting to transfer from Warwick to Manchester, and my A-Level grades exceed the entry requirements for the course

It'd be very unusual to transfer-in to any university just for the final year. You'd need to check with the university to which you want to transfer and check what their rules are.

For example, Manchester's "Undergraduate Degree Regulations", here, say the following in section C:

"C. Accreditation of Prior and Experiential Learning - AP(E)L
5. A maximum of 120 credits of a three-year Bachelors degree, and 240 credits for four year Bachelors degree can be considered for AP(E)L.
6. AP(E)L may be used in exceptional circumstances for entry into Level 6 (or 7 of an Integrated Masters). However, a case must be made to and approved by the Faculty."

Their "Guide to the Taught Degree Regulations", here, also makes a similar point:

"While we wish to acknowledge prior learning/experience, it is a principle that at least half of the programme should be assessed at the University of Manchester..."

Do check with the admissions team at Manchester, but the above would suggest a transfer from Warwick into the final year at Manchester is not an option.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
It'd be very unusual to transfer-in to any university just for the final year. You'd need to check with the university to which you want to transfer and check what their rules are.

For example, Manchester's "Undergraduate Degree Regulations", here, say the following in section C:

5. A maximum of 120 credits of a three-year Bachelors degree, and 240 credits for four year Bachelors degree can be considered for AP(E)L.
6. AP(E)L may be used in exceptional circumstances for entry into Level 6 (or 7 of an Integrated Masters). However, a case must be made to and approved by the Faculty."

Their "Guide to the Taught Degree Regulations", here, also makes a similar point:

"While we wish to acknowledge prior learning/experience, it is a principle that at least half of the programme should be assessed at the University of Manchester..."

Do check with the admissions team at Manchester, but the above would suggest a transfer from Warwick into the final year at Manchester is not an option.

Thanks for the reply! So if I transferred in my third year whilst I'm technically on my year abroad, would that work? I will have only completed 240 credits by the end of this year then? And I'm currently on a 4 year degree course
Original post by mka_
Thanks for the reply! So if I transferred in my third year whilst I'm technically on my year abroad, would that work? I will have only completed 240 credits by the end of this year then? And I'm currently on a 4 year degree course

I suspect when they say "240 credits for four year Bachelors degree" they're really thinking of an Integrated Masters. However, the Admissions team will be able to clarify. All I'm doing is reading their published regulations.
hey, I am in a very similar situation, could you please tell me what you did and what was your outcome? thanks!!

hey, I am in a very similar situation, could you please tell me what you did and what was your outcome? thanks!!

i do french and Spanish at Stirling uni and i am due to go into 4th year sept 2023 but i rlly want to transfer to a university in Glasgow.
Original post by Anonymous

i do french and Spanish at Stirling uni and i am due to go into 4th year sept 2023 but i rlly want to transfer to a university in Glasgow.

The original poster was asking about a transfer to Manchester. You are asking about a transfer to any of the universities in Glasgow, right? By that I assume you mean University of Glasgow, University of Strathclyde, or Glasgow Caledonian University. (I've ignored Glasgow School of Art, Royal Conservatoire Scotland, and City of Glasgow College.)

It's not clear whether such a transfer would be possible. I suspect not. Your best bet would probably be Strathclyde because (a) they have a published Transfers & Exchanges policy which starts "If you find yourself having doubts about your course of study or even your choice of university...", (although it then fails to talk about changing university), and (b) their business school say here that,"We're happy to consider applications from students who have completed or are currently studying a course at University level and wish to transfer into our degree programme beyond the first year." Note that their Humanities & Social Science faulty, who offer a four-year BA Joint Honours degree in French & Spanish, make no mention of transfers or "advance entry" that I can see.

In fact, you should probably contact each to establish what their policy is.
Reply 7
The original poster was asking about a transfer to Manchester. You are asking about a transfer to any of the universities in Glasgow, right? By that I assume you mean University of Glasgow, University of Strathclyde, or Glasgow Caledonian University. (I've ignored Glasgow School of Art, Royal Conservatoire Scotland, and City of Glasgow College.)

It's not clear whether such a transfer would be possible. I suspect not. Your best bet would probably be Strathclyde because (a) they have a published Transfers & Exchanges policy which starts "If you find yourself having doubts about your course of study or even your choice of university...", (although it then fails to talk about changing university), and (b) their business school say here that,"We're happy to consider applications from students who have completed or are currently studying a course at University level and wish to transfer into our degree programme beyond the first year." Note that their Humanities & Social Science faulty, who offer a four-year BA Joint Honours degree in French & Spanish, make no mention of transfers or "advance entry" that I can see.

In fact, you should probably contact each to establish what their policy is.

Hi, yeah I managed to find some emails so that I could speak to Strathclyde directly, I'm not feeling very hopeful but overall if you don't ask you don't get I suppose!!
Original post by Bethanyyy5
Hi, yeah I managed to find some emails so that I could speak to Strathclyde directly, I'm not feeling very hopeful but overall if you don't ask you don't get I suppose!!

Exactly. The worst they can say is, "No, sorry." and you've lost nothing.
The most likely outcome is that they’ll consider you if you’re willing to repeat a year.
Then it’s a case of deciding whether to go with 2 more years in a new university v 1 year on your current course

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending