The Student Room Group

Gcse

xxx
(edited 4 years ago)
get a tutor 1 on 1 (maybe little expensive) and he will probably show you exam questions and they would help on anything you are stuck with. my cousin use to be in the same position as you.
Original post by Douha Ghrieb
Hi, I came here in England like three months ago from Italy. So I don't speak English very well, I mean I am not too bad, but sometimes it is really hard to understand everything that the teachers explain in their lessons. I am on year 11 but I start it on september 27 (a little bit late). This year I have my gcses and I am really scared. In Italy I was really good in every subject (my marks were the top and I was the first of my year). But here in England everything is different. I start new subjects and new topics that I've never done before (like English literature) and plus they are in English of course so it is really difficult to study everything. For my gcses I chooseTriple scienceChild developmentFrenchGeography and of course English language and literature and maths.So, have you got some tips and advice for pass my gcses with at least 6 in all the subjects? (Honestly I hope to get more than 6, but 6 for now it is ok)What did you get on your gcses?How can I revise everything? (Of course I have already start revising)How can I improve my english?Do you know someone in my same situation? Or maybe you were in my same situation?Thank to all who will answer me!(And sorry for any mistake but as I said I am not english)

You might be at a disadvantage compared to your classmates if you are starting new subjects this year while others will have had at least one extra year doing this ( unless your school starts GCSEs in year 11). For French, you can put vocab on quizlet or flashcards to revise from whenever you have a few minutes of spare time but you can use this for other subjects too. My school had a lot of international students and they were given extra help improving their English but not every school provides that. You probably don't need a tutor now until you know what subjects will need extra help but they are definetly helpful. However, you don't need all lessons, make new friends and make an effort to talk in english as much as you can and don't be afraid of making a mistake - you'll gradually learn more this way I think. Good luck!
Reply 3
My friend came from China about 10 months before exams started, so she was in basically the same position as you. Talk to your school because she was allowed to have a English-Chinese dictionary in her exams. Other than that, I would just say work as hard as you can, and if you don't understand a lesson, ask the teacher at break or lunch. Good luck.
Reply 4
I am an online tutor. I have taught GCSE language and literature for 10 years. I have impressive pass rates (91%) and have examined for several exam boards in England, Wales and N Ireland. I offer tuition online at very competitive rates. Let me know if I can be of any further assistance. Emma
Original post by emzojo
I am an online tutor. I have taught GCSE language and literature for 10 years. I have impressive pass rates (91%) and have examined for several exam boards in England, Wales and N Ireland. I offer tuition online at very competitive rates. Let me know if I can be of any further assistance. Emma

I would love to hook up with you but how much do you charge

Quick Reply

Latest