The Student Room Group

Oxford Philosophy Test 2018

Hi guys! I haven’t seen any threads for the Oxford Philosophy Test (for Philosophy and Theology), but I was wondering how everyone found it if anyone on here took it? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It was ok, I'm still not entirely sure what they were looking for, because there seemed to not be a huge amount of guidance, but yea, didn't quite finish, i.e. I had half a paragraph, and half an asterisk I had started left, but I basically filled up the booklet so shouldn't matter too much??? fingers crossed! Also were we meant to wait until half the time to start the second question, because my invigilator told me not to start the second part until she told me, so I finished the first section with time to spare, then waited until she would tell me to start the second section, but she never did, so then I asked her if I could, and she seemed surprised that I was even asking, and then I ended up running out of time!! So idk what happened there, id be interested if she just got confused or having to start the second question exactly at half time is an actual thing??
Reply 2
Also oxford isnt supposed to send any ind of acknowledgement or reply once you send off your written wor (via email) right, (just in case, im paranoid i havent sent it!!)
Original post by Emilia0
It was ok, I'm still not entirely sure what they were looking for, because there seemed to not be a huge amount of guidance, but yea, didn't quite finish, i.e. I had half a paragraph, and half an asterisk I had started left, but I basically filled up the booklet so shouldn't matter too much??? fingers crossed! Also were we meant to wait until half the time to start the second question, because my invigilator told me not to start the second part until she told me, so I finished the first section with time to spare, then waited until she would tell me to start the second section, but she never did, so then I asked her if I could, and she seemed surprised that I was even asking, and then I ended up running out of time!! So idk what happened there, id be interested if she just got confused or having to start the second question exactly at half time is an actual thing??

As per everything I’ve seen it’s just guidance that you give half an hour to each question, i did the first half in about 20-25 minutes and spent 30-35 on the second question, then 5 minutes going back and checking over everything
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Emilia0
Also oxford isnt supposed to send any ind of acknowledgement or reply once you send off your written wor (via email) right, (just in case, im paranoid i havent sent it!!)

i just replied on the other thread lol :’) i don’t think your teacher was exactly right in what she did, but everything i’ve seen says that they base the marking off of quality rather than quantity, so i wouldn’t be too upset that you didn’t finish, if you showed that you had an aptitude for philosophy they’ll recognise it no matter what, i’d say :smile: also i haven’t sent mine yet haha so i honestly can’t say!
Reply 5
ah, thats very reassuring, thank you!! can only wait now i guess..
Original post by Emilia0
ah, thats very reassuring, thank you!! can only wait now i guess..

no problem! and i know haha, the anticipationnnnn! i don’t really expect to get an interview, but whatever haha :tongue: i tried my best :’) which college are you applying to?
Reply 7
Yea i feel like as long as you do your best, at least you know you did all you could, and Oriel, it seems like they have a lot of philosophy proffesors in the college?? Wbu?
(Original post by abigailhope13)no problem! and i know haha, the anticipationnnnn! i don’t really expect to get an interview, but whatever haha :tongue: i tried my best :’) which college are you applying to?
Original post by Emilia0
Yea i feel like as long as you do your best, at least you know you did all you could, and Oriel, it seems like they have a lot of philosophy proffesors in the college?? Wbu?
(Original post by abigailhope13)no problem! and i know haha, the anticipationnnnn! i don’t really expect to get an interview, but whatever haha :tongue: i tried my best :’) which college are you applying to?

worcester :smile: they have 5 places for phil/the and they have some good research going on haha :smile: PLUS THEY HAVE DUCKS! haha! I think Oriel was one of the other good ones for the subject, nice choice! :smile:
Took it! It was okay ...ran out of time tho! How did u find it?
Original post by achildaiminghigh
Took it! It was okay ...ran out of time tho! How did u find it?

I found it quite good! Don’t expect anything to come of it but I enjoyed it :smile:
I thought the test was really engaging, but for some reason, I cannot find the first part's guy or his ideas anywhere. I wanted to make sure my interpretation of his arguments was correct, but oh well. I'll know if I get an interview.
Reply 12
Thanks!! Tbf who can resist ducks!!
Original post by Emilia0
Thanks!! Tbf who can resist ducks!!

Exactly! The grounds at Worcester are just gorgeous, they have a big lake and everything for the little ducks to swim in :smile:
Reply 14
Yea so true, some of the grounds in Oxford are gorgeous, just in case it didn't already have enough appeal or anything..
Are you guys submitting multiple pieces of written work?
Reply 16
Original post by KoreanSocrates
Are you guys submitting multiple pieces of written work?

Nope just one, I did mine on the problem of meaningfulness of religious language. Also not sure about other colleges but Oriel did send a confirmation email that they received it. Hope this helps xx
anyone received any invites to interview? xx do u know when we will hear?
Original post by achildaiminghigh
anyone received any invites to interview? xx do u know when we will hear?

I certainly haven’t received one, haha! We should all find out in the next 10 days :smile:
Two years ago invites for philosophy and theology were sent out around 24th November if that helps anyone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending