The Student Room Group

1000's of Software engineer jobs but not many IT security jobs - why?

I search several tech jobs online as my preference is IT Security but it appears everywhere one goes its just software engineers in demand. I mean wow! You'd think Cyber Security matters just a little bit to employers or maybe they think its not important? :smile:

Time for me to start thinking of a change. Only in my first year though so still a plenty of time to change my mind :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
There are many paths into the security industry. Going from IT admin or IT consultant is one of them. Unless you are exceptionally talented and have done a lot of work in your part time, the high-roller jobs require multiple years of work experience.

One path into the industry could for example looking up smaller scale security vendors and learning the ropes there. If you do that for a year or two you will be really well placed to move into a really good gig.

Keep in mind that there are so many different types of jobs within infosec. Being a malware reverse engineer is very different from a consultant who talk about higher level business risks.
Reply 2
I've noticed that too. Maybe the issue is in culture and understanding of security. Some managers may think ''just buy a firewall and it'll be fine''. They don't understand the importance of security and that it is a holistic process.

Perhaps companies outsource their security operation(s) more often. So there may be a firm based in India who are responsible for a Manchester-based firm's security
A couple of things. Firstly companies are increasingly contracting out to services like Gmail or Office 365 who include security.

Secondly I think you are searching for the wrong thing in the wrong place. Try searching penetration tester on IT job boards

https://www.indeed.co.uk/m/jobs?sameL=1&q=penetration+tester&l=&from=searchOnSerp%2Cwhatauto
Original post by larryboy

Maybe because every company/organisation has only one (maybe two or three) boundaries that need protecting, but 10s or hundreds of pieces of software inside that boundary. In other words, the nature of IT is that for every cyber task that needs doing, there are hundreds of development tasks. A bit like football only needs one referee and 2 linesmen for every 22 players.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending