The Student Room Group

How doomed am i?

I am a mechanical engineer, dont like what i studied and i am 28. Is it possible to change my career to something like finance or software at that age?
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by Lkl121
I am a mechanical engineer, dont like what i studied and i am 28. Is it possible to change my career to something like finance or software at that age?

It is... but chances are you're going to have to take some kind of course (either academic or industrial based) to successfully convert. Also, you're probably going to have to start from the very bottom (entry level jobs).

As it something you'd have to pay for (the conversion course), I'd strongly advise you to think very carefully about what you wish to do before committing to anything. By this I mean what the work involves, potential career progression etc. After all, you don't want to be thinking the same thing in a few years time. And for the record, finance and software are massive industries with many avenues... for example, in finance would you want to become a banker, an accountant, an economist or a treasurer? Ditto with software would you want to become a programmer, a tester a network administrator or down the security route?
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 2
I dont have experience in my field i graduated late due to many reasosns.In finance positions like trading or portfolio management, for software more like machine learning.
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by Lkl121
I dont have experience in my field i graduated late due to many reasosns.In finance positions like trading or portfolio management, for software more like machine learning.

That's all fair enough... s**** happens mate.

I would still recommend thoroughly researching both of those avenues, and think about specifically where you would like to be in, say 10-15 years time; this could also include where you'd be working, how much you'd be earning, what additional challenges / responsibilities you'd expect or like etc. Even if you don't actually achieve it, having those goals will keep you focused.

A girl once told me a really nice saying:-

Shoot for the moon; then if you miss, you're still amongst the stars (think about it).

Quick Reply

Latest