The Student Room Group

What to get a French Exchange? (Gift)

Hi,

I'm going on a French Exchange soon and I would like to get the host family a gift.
I would like it to be typical of England, and something they don't often have/eat?

I was thinking of fudge, but I'm not sure if that's typically British?

Any ideas are welcome!

Thank you so much!!
Reply 1
Can help bigstyle, had a French g/f. Always had to take horseradish sauce and tinned mushy peas. They just don't exist out there! Les pois bizarre, lol.
Reply 2
Original post by Vinny C
Can help bigstyle, had a French g/f. Always had to take horseradish sauce and tinned mushy peas. They just don't exist out there! Les pois bizarre, lol.

Okay thanks! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by kt.w040507
Okay thanks! :smile:

Yw... can speak it too if you need any help. Fudge is Belgian btw...
Hi,

I'm going on a French Exchange soon and I would like to get the host family a gift.
I would like it to be typical of England, and something they don't often have/eat?

I was thinking of fudge, but I'm not sure if that's typically British?

Any ideas are welcome!

Thank you so much!!

scones, shortbread biscuits (theyre scottish), PG tips?
Reply 5
Original post by Vinny C
Yw... can speak it too if you need any help. Fudge is Belgian btw...

haha! I've only just realised I meant toffee :colondollar:

So I've just looked up handmade toffee and found some shops!
Reply 6
Original post by i.hate.gcses
scones, shortbread biscuits (theyre scottish), PG tips?

Do they not drink tea? English Breakfast Tea?]

Thanks btw! :smile:
Toffee sounds good, especially if its handmade, as imo food always goes down well! I had a german exchange and got their family a tin of shortbread biscuits, in return they gave me some lebkuchen (german equivalent of gingerbread.)
Reply 8
Original post by ravenwing
Toffee sounds good, especially if its handmade, as imo food always goes down well! I had a german exchange and got their family a tin of shortbread biscuits, in return they gave me some lebkuchen (german equivalent of gingerbread.)

Okay, definitely toffee then!

Yes, shortbread!!

Thanks so much :smile::smile:

Yes, shortbread!!

No problem, and I hope you enjoy the trip!

Yes, shortbread!!

Have you heard of The Toffee Shop? It's based in the Lake District and makes the best toffee (and fudge) money can buy.

Research it - it's totally worth it.
Reply 11
Original post by Reality Check
Have you heard of The Toffee Shop? It's based in the Lake District and makes the best toffee (and fudge) money can buy.

Research it - it's totally worth it.

That's such a coincidence! I typed Traditional Toffee into Google maps (I know, a product in directions) and I looked around the country and found The Toffee Shop.

If you think it's the best, then i'll email them! Thanks! :smile:
That's such a coincidence! I typed Traditional Toffee into Google maps (I know, a product in directions) and I looked around the country and found The Toffee Shop.

If you think it's the best, then i'll email them! Thanks! :smile:

Oh, it's actually amazing. The fudge is buttery, sweet without being overpoweringly so and quite granular - like the Scottish 'tablet'. It's a bit expensive, but actually the best fudge ever. The toffee is equaly buttery and delicious.
haha! I've only just realised I meant toffee :colondollar:

So I've just looked up handmade toffee and found some shops!

They do all of that far better than we do. Horseradish sauce and mushy peas. They want something different! Btw... if you take Marmite, stop them from trying to eat it with a spoon.

Quick Reply

Latest