The Student Room Group

exchange

i have a male french exchange student staying. he’s really nice, but doesn’t seem to get personal space. he always sits super close on the sofa ; puts his arm on the back of my chair when we sit; and leans in close to talk. when we met up with his friend (also french) his friend did the same sort of thing. is this normal in other countries, and english boys are just the anomalies? it doesn’t bother me, i’d just like to know whats up. any advice appreciated x
Whilst there are always dangers with generalisations, British people generally are much more prudish about physical contact/proximity than other nationalities. The most obvious example is kissing between friends and family members, which is much more common in other European countries compared to here. It can certainly extend to something like this. It doesn't mean that is the reason, or that this is a 'French' thing necessarily, but it's one possible explanation.
Original post by Anonymous #1
i have a male french exchange student staying. he’s really nice, but doesn’t seem to get personal space. he always sits super close on the sofa ; puts his arm on the back of my chair when we sit; and leans in close to talk. when we met up with his friend (also french) his friend did the same sort of thing. is this normal in other countries, and english boys are just the anomalies? it doesn’t bother me, i’d just like to know whats up. any advice appreciated x

i found the same thing when i had a german girl stay with me, so maybe it is just a british thing lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending