The Student Room Group

Statistics Help! Normal Distribution

So I need help with this Normal Distribution Question.

'In a survey of 650 businesses the number of people employed in each is found to be normally distributed with a mean employee number of 7 and a standard deviation of 1.3'

How many businesses would be expected to have between 5 and 8 employees?

I have attempted it but my answer is wrong :frown:
Original post by gw07mcgheerachel
So I need help with this Normal Distribution Question.

'In a survey of 650 businesses the number of people employed in each is found to be normally distributed with a mean employee number of 7 and a standard deviation of 1.3'

How many businesses would be expected to have between 5 and 8 employees?

I have attempted it but my answer is wrong :frown:

Post your working out and we'll spot your error.
It wont let me post a picture but basically I did normal distribution using 5 and then 8 and i got 40 and 145 so then did 145-140 and got 105.
@RDKGames
Work out P( 5 < X < 8) when X is normally distributed

This gives you a probability value. Multiply this by 650 to work out how many /650 you can expect.
Original post by MrMoment
Work out P( 5 < X < 8) when X is normally distributed

This gives you a probability value. Multiply this by 650 to work out how many /650 you can expect.

I have no idea how to do that. I have not been taught it, I've just been told to give it a go
Original post by gw07mcgheerachel
I have no idea how to do that. I have not been taught it, I've just been told to give it a go

Calculators for the new A level maths specification (like the Casio Classwiz) will have normal distribution functions. So if you find this mode on your calculator you can input the bounds 5 and 8 for the ‘Normal Cumulative Dist’ with the std dev. and mean to produce a value.

Quick Reply

Latest