The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by muthalganesan18
Even most of the straight guys I know take up South Indian wives and girlfriends. But regardless I limited my post to LGBT and women precisely because people like you kept harping on about light skin. It's sad that you'd rather spend time fighting people of your own race rather than fighting for them - what's your natural skin colour?

Sorry for the late response, didn’t notice this

I never said I preferred light skin, I honestly could not care less. I’m just saying what I’ve heard from speaking to other British Sri Lankans, this preference for light skinned girls is still a thing, you’re trying to pretend like it no longer exists. Obviously it depends on the individual but overall I feel that the preference does exist and personally although I don’t have that preference i don’t think there’s anything wrong with being more attracted to people with lighter skin. There’s people attracted to all kinds of superficial features.

I have slightly lighter skin than the average Tamil, darker than a North Indian, and noticeably South Indian features. My parents have darker skin, my brother has very dark skin, and my sister has a similar colour to me. My cousins tend to be similar to average Sri Lankans so no I don’t think I’m a North Indian or anything other than Sri Lankan. In Sri Lanka there’s a spectrum of skin colours, just look at the presidents. It’s possibel for people within a race to have different features.

I wouldn’t want to fight anyone because of race lol
Original post by JTharma

I never said I preferred light skin, I honestly could not care less. I’m just saying what I’ve heard from speaking to other British Sri Lankans, this preference for light skinned girls is still a thing, you’re trying to pretend like it no longer exists. Obviously it depends on the individual but overall I feel that the preference does exist and personally although I don’t have that preference i don’t think there’s anything wrong with being more attracted to people with lighter skin. There’s people attracted to all kinds of superficial features.

I have slightly lighter skin than the average Tamil, darker than a North Indian, and noticeably South Indian features. My parents have darker skin, my brother has very dark skin, and my sister has a similar colour to me. My cousins tend to be similar to average Sri Lankans so no I don’t think I’m a North Indian or anything other than Sri Lankan. In Sri Lanka there’s a spectrum of skin colours, just look at the presidents. It’s possibel for people within a race to have different features.

1) For LGBT and women at least, South Indians sexually dislike North Indians. Much of the racism problems nowadays are basically only to do with this issue (well, Pakistanis but that's more complicated).

2) Most South Indians have the same skin colour, so I presume you're complaining because you are mixed.

3) I don't think you're that well integrated with Sri Lankans and/or South Indians because you have very little understanding of their viewpoints and the racism problems they face. You're fighting the wrong battle and that should be a sign to you that you're not Sri Lankan.
Reply 22
1) For LGBT and women at least, South Indians sexually dislike North Indians. Much of the racism problems nowadays are basically only to do with this issue (well, Pakistanis but that's more complicated).

2) Most South Indians have the same skin colour, so I presume you're complaining because you are mixed.

3) I don't think you're that well integrated with Sri Lankans and/or South Indians because you have very little understanding of their viewpoints and the racism problems they face. You're fighting the wrong battle and that should be a sign to you that you're not Sri Lankan.

Lol I’m not complaining, literally no one has ever thought I looked mixed or non-sri lankan. What battle should I fight? There’s nothing to fight. What racism do you feel there is in Sri Lanka and among Sri Lankans in the UK? Because personally I’ve never felt victimised in the Uk as a Sri Lankan by either white people or Sri Lankans. Again, I am Sri Lankan, my entire family is from Sri Lanka, I don’t know any connections to any other country.
Original post by JTharma
Lol I’m not complaining, literally no one has ever thought I looked mixed or non-sri lankan. What battle should I fight? There’s nothing to fight. What racism do you feel there is in Sri Lanka and among Sri Lankans in the UK? Because personally I’ve never felt victimised in the Uk as a Sri Lankan by either white people or Sri Lankans. Again, I am Sri Lankan, my entire family is from Sri Lanka, I don’t know any connections to any other country.

Well you're spending more time fighting against Sri Lankans that with Sri Lankans. Most North Indians friends support me yet you're fighting against me.
Reply 24
Well you're spending more time fighting against Sri Lankans that with Sri Lankans. Most North Indians friends support me yet you're fighting against me.

I’m not fighting against you (or anyone). Just disagreeing. I 100% support Sri Lanka and Sri Lankans. What would you like me to support you on?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by JTharma
I’m not fighting against you (or anyone). Just disagreeing. I 100% support Sri Lanka and Sri Lankans. What would you like me to support you on?

What exactly are you doing now? Why are you even irate at what I posted?
Reply 26
What exactly are you doing now? Why are you even irate at what I posted?

Lol I’m not, you’re the one who’s saying that I’m fighting against Sri Lankans just for disagreeing with you. I was wondering why you’re so irate.
Original post by JTharma
Lol I’m not, you’re the one who’s saying that I’m fighting against Sri Lankans just for disagreeing with you. I was wondering why you’re so irate.

You attacked me first though. I stated that South Indians sexually disliked North Indian men. That's it

Spoiler

Reply 28
You attacked me first though. I stated that South Indians sexually disliked North Indian men. That's it

Spoiler

Ok, you know what, I’m very sorry if I attacked you.
Original post by JTharma
Ok, you know what, I’m very sorry if I attacked you.

You should be attacking people who say that South Indians aren't a subrace, that light-skinned people are South Indian, and forward the idea that South Indians sexually dislike North Indian men.
Reply 30
You should be attacking people who say that South Indians aren't a subrace, that light-skinned people are South Indian, and forward the idea that South Indians sexually dislike North Indian men.

1) I’ve always agreed they were a sub race and different from North Indians.
2) Most South Indians are dark skinned and North Indians are lighter skinned. Agreed. But there are always anomalies.
3) I’d say I’m more attracted to South Indians obviously but I don’t think it’s right to speak on behalf of all South Indians lol,

Just out of interest, why do we need to forward this idea? How will it benefit us? Just curious.
Original post by JTharma
1) I’ve always agreed they were a sub race and different from North Indians.
2) Most South Indians are dark skinned and North Indians are lighter skinned. Agreed. But there are always anomalies.
3) I’d say I’m more attracted to South Indians obviously but I don’t think it’s right to speak on behalf of all South Indians lol,

Just out of interest, why do we need to forward this idea? How will it benefit us? Just curious.

Racism? Do you realise how much **** there is surround racism a la artists like One Direction? Then why on earth are all of the politcians in Sri Lanka naturally light skinned - we don't even have a caste system in Sri Lanka! I think that the light skinned sometimes egg on the ethnolingustic civil war, whereas Tamils and Sinhalese could have gotten along by appealing to their race and skin colour.
Original post by JTharma

If you're mixed you probably have an inbuilt bias, and I still find it weird that you have such little understanding of British Sri Lankan Tamils. But, generally speaking, I've never met a Sri Lankan Tamil guy who's taken up a light skinned girlfriend - nearly all those types have been first generation IT tech workers from Bengaluru. For the LGBT and females, North Indians aren't increasingly considered attractive in India let alone the UK. We r looking at getting rid of light people from South Indian culture as is happening in Sri Lanka.
Does all this really matter?
Original post by Seamus123
Does all this really matter?

Well, as I said a few posts back, looking at women and LGBT (e.g. gay men and etc...), the majority of these people sexually dislike North Indian men, and it would be wrong to consider the two to be the same group (e.g. it's wrong to tan a North Indian and 'pretend' it's a South Indian, and ditto for those lighter skinned people who label themselves "South Indian":wink:.

Racism against South Indians is a serious problem even in South India, though in Sri Lanka they've been a bit more egalitarian and light skinned people seem to tan regularly in the media. The majority of western media hasn't really touched on the issue as a serious problem - I notice that a lot of those so-called light-skinned "South Indians" are labelled as being representitive of their South Indian ethnicities which isn't true at least in the West. I also mentioned the racism surrounding One Direction a few posts back too which concerns this topic as well.
(edited 5 years ago)
I also want to add that the majority of people with 'slightly lighter skin' than the average Sri Lankan are light skinned people who have tanned to a brown skin tone. I've never seen a proper 'slightly lighter skinned' Sri Lankan. @JTharma it's wrong for you to pretend to be a race/ethnicity that you're not.
(edited 5 years ago)

Latest