The Student Room Group

Work experience

Hi there guys

I want to go into politics eventually as an MP but don't know where to start.

Currently 15 nearly 16. I am active in local politics, I am leading a movement on Twitter to stop my local library being closed and also attended a consultation on closure of library to make my voice heard
However I don't know where to start to get into politics. Work experience with MP is pointless in my area because he never replies to my emails, only replied to one asking about the library when I showed him up on twitter. and all the local MPs are tories and I support labour - don't have a problem but just think it might not be very productive.

Thinking of a job in the civil service first - I was recommended to consider beign a political researcher - any information on this?

Also thinking of work experience at a news place or writing news articles for smaller sites and networks. I like RT so I might ask about there when I am old enough.

I am very good at essay writing and writing in general - i am also very passionate about the issues i am concerned about.

Any ideas?
Original post by ap.ferro
Hi there guys

I want to go into politics eventually as an MP but don't know where to start.

Currently 15 nearly 16. I am active in local politics, I am leading a movement on Twitter to stop my local library being closed and also attended a consultation on closure of library to make my voice heard
However I don't know where to start to get into politics. Work experience with MP is pointless in my area because he never replies to my emails, only replied to one asking about the library when I showed him up on twitter. and all the local MPs are tories and I support labour - don't have a problem but just think it might not be very productive.

Thinking of a job in the civil service first - I was recommended to consider beign a political researcher - any information on this?

Also thinking of work experience at a news place or writing news articles for smaller sites and networks. I like RT so I might ask about there when I am old enough.

I am very good at essay writing and writing in general - i am also very passionate about the issues i am concerned about.

Any ideas?

Although I like RT too, not the type of news channel you wanna work for if you’re aiming to be a politician in Britain lol
Reply 2
Original post by Adam_tsr
Although I like RT too, not the type of news channel you wanna work for if you’re aiming to be a politician in Britain lol

Just thought they are more likely to accept me than say the BBC
Original post by ap.ferro
Just thought they are more likely to accept me than say the BBC

Boris Johnson started off from The Spectator I think, a newspaper would be a good shout

Quick Reply

Latest