The Student Room Group

Which English Counties Don't Have Universities?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Cowberg

Bath is in Somerset. Not it's own unitary authority, or whatever Bristol is.

Yes it is. Bath (with NE Somerset) is unitary authority within its ceremonial county of Somerset.

Just as Middlesbrough is a unitary authority in the ceremonial county of North Yorkshire.

Don't get me wrong, Bath is nothing other than Somerset, but to suggest it isn't a unitary authority is just wrong.

Bristol is a city, unitary authority and ceremonial county (as far as I'm aware).
Reply 101
watjam01
OK ive decided that the tennis county system has screwed me up on the knowledge of UK counties :biggrin:

Doesn't the Tennis county system stick to the historic/traditional counties largely? In which case those are the proper counties really (just not the counties now after being changed during the past 30/40 years.

Still, I'm no expert on county Tennis cricket.

Maybe this will complicate matters more

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counties_of_England
Reply 102
Reply 103
Yeah they dont have west midlands teams it just has warwickshire for example and that includes birmingham which is why im getting confused lol..............yeah i read the article before :biggrin: oh well
Reply 104
I can't think of any universities in Suffolk.
Reply 105
Crisps
I can't think of any universities in Suffolk.

In 2007 University Campus Suffolk opened. Before then it was one of only five counties that did not have a university or campus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_Campus_Suffolk#cite_note-0

So the other three must be Northumberland, Herefordshire and Isle of Wight. Unless, of course, wikipedia is talking crap.
I wonder which county has the most universities.
Reply 107
strawberry_wise

The major metropolitan and urban areas mainly. Greater Manchester has at least three, Tyne and Wear has three. Leicestershire has at least three. Lancashire has at least three. North Yorkshire has three (five if Teesside and Stockton are included which they probably shouldn't). There'll be few who have four or more I would imagine (I'll probably be proven wrong).

In terms of ceremonial counties then Greater London (although in the this thread GL isn't included)
I think it might be West Midlands actually - Birmingham, Birmingham City, Coventry, Warwick, Aston, Wolverhampton...? Probably more I can't think of at the moment.
3 in Sussex if you count East & West together.

Surrey has 4 - Holloway, Roehampton, Kingston and Surrey itself
Wiltshire and I'm not sure on the other one but there are only three
Original post by apotoftea
3 in Sussex if you count East & West together.

Surrey has 4 - Holloway, Roehampton, Kingston and Surrey itself

Roehampton is not in Surrey as I did my Primary teacher training there. Its campuses used to be in Wimbledon, Wandsworth and Roehampton but they are all in Roehampton now. Technically you are right though as it used to be and my degree is a Surrey Uni one!
Original post by strawberry_wise
I think it might be West Midlands actually - Birmingham, Birmingham City, Coventry, Warwick, Aston, Wolverhampton...? Probably more I can't think of at the moment.

As I from Birmingham:

1. University of Birmingham
2. Aston University
3. Newman University
4. Birmingham City University
5. Westhill University College
(All Birmingham)
6. Coventry University
7. University of Warwick
(Coventry)
8. Wolverhampton
Shropshire surely doesn't have one.

edit - just been on google, they don't have one :cool:

but one is starting up soon and gets students starting next september.

crucial information, this.
There are either traditional counties or there are nothing.

and Shropshire has **** all, and loads of counties in Wales have nowt.
Original post by andrew75
As I from Birmingham:

1. University of Birmingham
2. Aston University
3. Newman University
4. Birmingham City University
5. Westhill University College
(All Birmingham)
6. Coventry University
7. University of Warwick
(Coventry)
8. Wolverhampton

Birmingham Metropolitan College?
http://www.bmetc.ac.uk/
Original post by River85
Yes it is. Bath (with NE Somerset) is unitary authority within its ceremonial county of Somerset.

Just as Middlesbrough is a unitary authority in the ceremonial county of North Yorkshire.

Don't get me wrong, Bath is nothing other than Somerset, but to suggest it isn't a unitary authority is just wrong.

Bristol is a city, unitary authority and ceremonial county (as far as I'm aware).

Bristol is in Gloucestershire

Fun Fact: it was originally called Bristow, but with the bristolian habit of adding l to the ends on words (I've got a good ideal) people thought they were saying "bristol".
Original post by A Stranger in Moscow
I don't think it is part of Hampshire.
It's usually Hampshire and Isle of Wight when you see signs on the IoW, but here on mainland it says Hampshire. Portsmouth isn't Hampshire either, I don't think...

If P'mouth counts as Hants, I reckon we have more than other counties (exc. Greater London, obv.)

Yes Portsmouth is Hampshire, it sure isn't Sussex or Surrey
good question...lol.

I'd say Cumbria, Northumberland, Shropshire, Rutland, Somerset, lol.. not many, since all those ex-polys become unis.
Original post by strawberry_wise

London? Even though UCL and Kings, etc. all are part of the Uni of London, they still operate seperately.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending