The Student Room Group

CBSE India and GCSE (2)

Hello. I just relocated to London in September and I have completed my Class 10 CBSE Board Exam with a percentage of 87. I am currently 16 and had already started 11th in India with the Commerce w/ maths stream. I have been constantly trying to apply for various sixth form colleges here but unfortunately I’ve not had any luck. I gave my certificate to Ecctis for checking its equivalency but they said that the CBSE English is not equivalent to GCSE English however maths and science (CBSE) have been listed as equivalent to GCSE. I’m looking for colleges in the Lambeth Borough and would appreciate any help. Also I noticed that the old CBSE India and GCSE discussion thread got closed so I just made a second one for me and anyone else in a similar situation. Cheers.
(edited 1 year ago)
Hey! So did you get into any sixth form!? I'm in a similar situation too..
Original post by SidDaKid_1906
Hello. I just relocated to London in September and I have completed my Class 10 CBSE Board Exam with a percentage of 87. I am currently 16 and had already started 11th in India with the Commerce w/ maths stream. I have been constantly trying to apply for various sixth form colleges here but unfortunately I’ve not had any luck. I gave my certificate to Ecctis for checking its equivalency but they said that the CBSE English is not equivalent to GCSE English however maths and science (CBSE) have been listed as equivalent to GCSE. I’m looking for colleges in the Lambeth Borough and would appreciate any help. Also I noticed that the old CBSE India and GCSE discussion thread got closed so I just made a second one for me and anyone else in a similar situation. Cheers.

I'm in a similar situation too.. I had 84 % in 10th.CBSE.. Could you please tell what would be the equivalent gcse grades I can get? Or what grades did you got..
Reply 3
Hello
I have done my SSC from India,Goa and had given my marksheet to UK NARIC
I scored 90% in india.
The Statement Of Comparability shows Grades D-G .
Will i be able to get into college?
Thank you.
Reply 4
I understand that you're facing challenges in finding a sixth form college in the Lambeth Borough in London due to the issue with the equivalency of your CBSE English certificate. It can be frustrating when your qualifications are not immediately recognized in a new educational system.

Here are a few suggestions to help you in your search:

Contact local sixth form colleges directly: Reach out to the admissions offices of different sixth form colleges in the Lambeth Borough. Explain your situation and inquire about their specific requirements and whether they can consider your CBSE qualifications with additional language support or an English language proficiency test.

Explore alternative education options: Consider other educational routes, such as private colleges or independent study programs, which may be more flexible in their admissions requirements. Look for colleges that offer courses aligned with your academic interests and career goals.

Seek advice from educational consultants: Professional educational consultants or advisors can provide personalized guidance based on your specific situation. They are experienced in navigating the education system and can help you find suitable options and assist with the application process.

Research bridging programs: Look for bridging programs or foundation courses designed to help international students transition into the UK education system. These programs often provide language support and additional academic preparation to meet the entry requirements of colleges and universities.

Consider online or distance learning options: If you're unable to find a suitable physical college at the moment, explore online or distance learning options that allow you to continue your studies remotely. Many reputable institutions offer online courses and programs, which can be a flexible and accessible way to pursue your education.

Remember to stay persistent and proactive in your search. Keep researching, reaching out to different educational institutions, and seeking guidance to explore all possible avenues. Additionally, stay informed about any updates or changes in the admission requirements or policies due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, as this might impact the application processes and flexibility of colleges.

Good luck with your search, and I hope you find a suitable educational opportunity that aligns with your goals and aspirations in London!
Original post by majesty001
I understand that you're facing challenges in finding a sixth form college in the Lambeth Borough in London due to the issue with the equivalency of your CBSE English certificate. It can be frustrating when your qualifications are not immediately recognized in a new educational system.

Contact local sixth form colleges directly: Reach out to the admissions offices of different sixth form colleges in the Lambeth Borough. Explain your situation and inquire about their specific requirements and whether they can consider your CBSE qualifications with additional language support or an English language proficiency test.

Explore alternative education options: Consider other educational routes, such as private colleges or independent study programs, which may be more flexible in their admissions requirements. Look for colleges that offer courses aligned with your academic interests and career goals.

Seek advice from educational consultants: Professional educational consultants or advisors can provide personalized guidance based on your specific situation. They are experienced in navigating the education system and can help you find suitable options and assist with the application process.

Research bridging programs: Look for bridging programs or foundation courses designed to help international students transition into the UK education system. These programs often provide language support and additional academic preparation to meet the entry requirements of colleges and universities.

Consider online or distance learning options: If you're unable to find a suitable physical college at the moment, explore online or distance learning options that allow you to continue your studies remotely. Many reputable institutions offer online courses and programs, which can be a flexible and accessible way to pursue your education.

Remember to stay persistent and proactive in your search. Keep researching, reaching out to different educational institutions, and seeking guidance to explore all possible avenues. Additionally, stay informed about any updates or changes in the admission requirements or policies due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, as this might impact the application processes and flexibility of colleges.

Good luck with your search, and I hope you find a suitable educational opportunity that aligns with your goals and aspirations in London!

Yes! I agree with you. Unfortunately it's quite not possible in my situation as where I live they hardly 3 have sixth form near by and after applying to all three of them I have got an response from only 1 college, which most probably going to be oversubscribed this year too and the 2nd one says i don't meet there requirement and 3rd one didn't even respond. I had to wait a whole year cause last year we were late and all 3 schools where oversubscribed and all other schools are there but have to travel almost 2+ hrs a day. The last few options I'm left with is going back to India or do an apprenticeship but for that I might have to move out from this county. Sorry for the long mssg 😬, but I would appreciate your views/advise on this.......
Reply 6
inbox
Reply 7
Original post by majesty001

Woah haven’t logged in on this site for a while now… so update… I did get into a sixth form here last year and I’m now in Year 13… still thanks as someone else could find this useful
Reply 8
Original post by Jolenett.thomas
Yes! I agree with you. Unfortunately it's quite not possible in my situation as where I live they hardly 3 have sixth form near by and after applying to all three of them I have got an response from only 1 college, which most probably going to be oversubscribed this year too and the 2nd one says i don't meet there requirement and 3rd one didn't even respond. I had to wait a whole year cause last year we were late and all 3 schools where oversubscribed and all other schools are there but have to travel almost 2+ hrs a day. The last few options I'm left with is going back to India or do an apprenticeship but for that I might have to move out from this county. Sorry for the long mssg 😬, but I would appreciate your views/advise on this.......

I’m so sorry you’re having to go through this… I really hope you get into a good sixth form soon.
Reply 9
Original post by Jolenett.thomas
Hey! So did you get into any sixth form!? I'm in a similar situation to

Original post by Supriyaa
I'm in a similar situation too.. I had 84 % in 10th.CBSE.. Could you please tell what would be the equivalent gcse grades I can get? Or what grades did you got..

Hi sorry for the late response… I got into a sixth form last year and I’m now in Year 13. The administrator of the school was kind enough to take me in just by looking at my ecctis grade conversion certificate however I did have to give the English language GCSE this year since CBSE english is not equivalent to GCSE. But I gave that exam not because the school told me to but because I need (you guys too) to state in my university application a Gcse english grade 4 and above or an equivalent grade such as IELTS. Also Supriya I think 84% is sufficient… Have you tried reaching out to sixth forms directly? Like writing emails or calling them up?
Original post by hirotaka22
Hello
I scored 90% in india.
Thank you.

Unfortunately I wouldn’t know about SSC… why don’t you try reaching out to sixth forms in your area?
Reply 11
Hello
I scored 90% in india.
Thank you.

Hi, same for Telangana board (compared with GCSE grade 1-3). got A-level admission in any school ?
Original post by Vijm
Hi, same for Telangana board (compared with GCSE grade 1-3). got A-level admission in any school ?

Yes I did get in a sixth form college
Yes I did get into college
However one college rejected my application
I was lucky enough and by God's grace got admission into another college
Reply 14
Yes I did get in a sixth form college

Our school is asking to pursue GCSE after we submitted the Ecctis statement. May I know your council and school names to check if I get admission ?
Reply 15
Yes I did get into college
However one college rejected my application
I was lucky enough and by God's grace got admission into another college

great. all the best. Could not be able to reply privately. my profile is not yet ready. I will try and reply soon.
Original post by Vijm
great. all the best. Could not be able to reply privately. my profile is not yet ready. I will try and reply soon.

Thanks.
I go to Cirencester College which is in Gloucestershire.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending