The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

University of Lancaster Colleges

Past or present students, how did you choose colleges? does it matter? I know its based off of the accommodation you chose but the same type of accommodation is provided by multiple colleges so how do you know which one to chose?
Original post by bigplongus
Past or present students, how did you choose colleges? does it matter? I know its based off of the accommodation you chose but the same type of accommodation is provided by multiple colleges so how do you know which one to chose?

Hey @bigplongus [br] The most important consideration while choosing a college should be accommodation AND its location on campus. Please refer to campus college maps and see what type of location on campus would you like to live in for the rest of your academic year. Small example: If you want to live in the heart of campus where the restaurants and shops are a smaller walk then maybe you should consider fylde, bowland or furness. However, if you want to live in a quieter area with less distractions, maybe cartmel, or lonsdale would be more suitable for you. Maybe if you're more extroverted and are looking for a more frequent party environment then perhaps county townhouses would be your favourite option.

In the long run, it does not matter which accomodation you choose because 3 weeks in uni, you will be convinced the college you're in is the best one.
I hope this helps :smile:

Vyomika
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by bigplongus

Hi,
Just to add to what Vyomika said, it's definitely worth considering the location. Accommodation on south west campus, for instance (Lonsdale, Cartmel, some of Pendle) is roughly a 10-15 minute walk for most lectures, depending on location. However, this can be good if you're looking for more of a separation between work and relaxation, and it's definitely quieter. In contrast, colleges like Bowland, Fylde and Furness are right in the middle of campus so are very convenient for facilities and lectures. Grizedale, Pendle and County are more in-between, they're a little bit further from the centre of campus but closer than the colleges on southwest campus. Some colleges like Grizedale have more of a reputation as a 'party' college, or a 'sporty' college like Fylde, but there's all sorts of people with varied interests in each college so don't worry too much about that.
In the end, all the colleges have their own bars, common rooms, study spaces and sports/bar sports teams so you won't be missing out whichever college you choose, even if you end up being placed in your second choice college like I was. It's definitely not something to stress about too much as you'll have a great time whichever college you end up at.
Becky
(Lancaster University student ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending