Using paulings rules to predict the pKa of oxoacids?

Watch
BerlinBasil
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Using paulings rules to predict the pKa of oxoacids? How do I do this?

For example, predict the pKa of H2SeO4
Sinuhe
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Pauling's rules for pKa values are really simple, namely:

1. the pKa of an acid (O)pE(OH)q is pKa = 8-5p
2. the successive pKa's go up by 5 per ionisation (i.e. for the second, third, fourth proton etc.)

So, for H2SeO4:
1. first rewrite it in the form used above: O2Se(OH)2
2. calculate the pKa by Pauling's rules: pKa = 8 - 5*2 = -2
3. the second pKa (there are two protons that can be removed) is thus -2 + 5 = 3.

Easy.

The rationalisation is that the more oxo groups there are, the more canonical forms you can write of the conjugate base, and thus the more stable it is. But as you ionise further, you clearly have fewer canonicals, as they are 'used up' by negative charges, as it were.
There's no 'theoretical' basis for the rule; it's just an empirical rule that often works quite well, but it should be borne in mind that it's very approximate (it isn't dependent on the central atom at all, for example).
BerlinBasil
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Yeah, I understand the rationalisation, I just didn't see where the 8-5p part was coming in before. I realise not that p represtents oxo groups.

Thanks
ninja55
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
anyone know why hno3 has a p value of 2?????
egurusworld
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
P stands here for the number of oxygen without having hydrogen attached to it,in case of HNo3 out of 3 oxygen one is attached to oxygen so.
Arraz
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sinuhe)
Pauling's rules for pKa values are really simple, namely:

1. the pKa of an acid (O)pE(OH)q is pKa = 8-5p
2. the successive pKa's go up by 5 per ionisation (i.e. for the second, third, fourth proton etc.)

So, for H2SeO4:
1. first rewrite it in the form used above: O2Se(OH)2
2. calculate the pKa by Pauling's rules: pKa = 8 - 5*2 = -2
3. the second pKa (there are two protons that can be removed) is thus -2 + 5 = 3.

Easy.

The rationalisation is that the more oxo groups there are, the more canonical forms you can write of the conjugate base, and thus the more stable it is. But as you ionise further, you clearly have fewer canonicals, as they are 'used up' by negative charges, as it were.
There's no 'theoretical' basis for the rule; it's just an empirical rule that often works quite well, but it should be borne in mind that it's very approximate (it isn't dependent on the central atom at all, for example).
How about HSeO2CH3? How to convert it into (O)pE(OH)q?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (24)
13.48%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.74%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
5.06%
I need help with my personal statement (75)
42.13%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (41)
23.03%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.69%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
7.87%

Watched Threads