The Student Room Group

Help! Can't manage class!

After a short career break, I've returned to teaching via supply work but I keep not getting asked back! The most common feedback is that my classroom management isn't up to par, but I managed it before! I seem to have forgotten how to do it!

I expect 100% compliance, I'm very positive, make the rules clear, give incentives for the end of the day, apply behaviour policy (although rarely a school uses it as it describes on their website,) but still pupils choose to ignore me!

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, or what I should be doing and am not.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Reply 1
Could you video yourself teaching and watch it back/get someone to come and observe you? There are also behaviour management training courses if you feel you need to brush up, e.g. https://my.optimus-education.com/inhouse-training
Reply 2
Original post by Angelil
Could you video yourself teaching and watch it back/get someone to come and observe you? There are also behaviour management training courses if you feel you need to brush up, e.g. https://my.optimus-education.com/inhouse-training

Thanks for your response Angelil. At the moment, videoing myself is difficult as I'm a supply teacher. I start a full time job in September,so I should eb able to try it then.
Hi,

Behaviour management is harder as a supply teacher but there are a few things you could consider:

How do you get the class quiet? - noise makes noise and so use a hand up only and stand patiently/count down/finger on lips etc are all useful in primary. If someone is talking when you are, use a clear glare/or move near them; also, ask another teacher for the names of any children who you can trust and those who may be problematic and ask them questions. When you ask the children to do something, say thank you with authority at the end, as this assumes they will do it. Thank children by name and spend time asking the class about them - make them feel you want to know them and share a little about you. Incentives are good but make them immediate - end of the day is too far in advance for many to realise they need to wait. Read the book When Adults change by Paul Dix or go onto the Education Endowment Foundation website and download their guidance posters for classroom management.

Don't give up and celebrate small victories.

Good Luck!
Aly

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending