The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Haha, ok i shouldn't laugh... sounds like something i would do!

If it makes you feel better i didn't read the word dynamics ..at FIRST....
Well, in the end, 3 marks is 1 percent, so I'm not too bothered :tongue:. It's the 15 I lost out for the 'minimalism' question that worries me.
Reply 162
for the voice question, it was male alto or falsetto apparently.
i put soprano.
but apparently we had done that piece of music in class before.
i have a bad memory
so i got it wrong.
dammit

xx
Reply 163
the purcell was sung by two countertenors...and the 'minimalist' piece was John Adam's Short Ride in a Fast Machine - great piece, but not really all that minimalist!

...from a John Adams interview in 1999:
Robert Davidson: It's clear that you've moved a long way from minimalism, though you are often described even now as a minimalist composer. What connection do you have with that music?

John Adams: My music has minimalist influences rather than being minimalist itself. When I first heard early minimalist music, I was greatly attracted to certain principles I heard in it - principles like clear tonal centres, clear pulse and slow harmonic rate of change. If you look at almost any one of my pieces, you see traces of those principles.
Reply 164
muwo
the purcell was sung by two countertenors...and the 'minimalist' piece was John Adam's Short Ride in a Fast Machine - great piece, but not really all that minimalist!

...from a John Adams interview in 1999:
Robert Davidson: It's clear that you've moved a long way from minimalism, though you are often described even now as a minimalist composer. What connection do you have with that music?

John Adams: My music has minimalist influences rather than being minimalist itself. When I first heard early minimalist music, I was greatly attracted to certain principles I heard in it - principles like clear tonal centres, clear pulse and slow harmonic rate of change. If you look at almost any one of my pieces, you see traces of those principles.

wow thats really interesting, especially that its by john adams. So it's definitely minimalist then (or will be on the mark scheme anyway) Thats 12 marks down the drain...

Any idea what the purcell piece was called?
Reply 165
You won't have lost 12 marks from it.. if you put say expressionism and written about that you would still have got the marks a fair number of marks. just as long as you said the write things about the genre you put down. thats what our teacher told us anyway
Reply 166
Hmm, are you sure it's falsetto?

I put alto .... would that get one mark... i should of put male ...damn
Reply 167
That's what I was told.
You probably would still get one mark for that seeing as it was worth 2.
I'm not sure.. I was convinced it was soprano but I'm obviously wrong!
xx
hmmm i've been doing my research on youtube and i reckon the purcell singers were guys
cos the ones with females singing are obviously high and female
and in places where you can like buy it it says counter-tenor duet
which is ever so gaybar as i put that and then changed it
arrrgghhhh
Reply 169
Jmiddleton
Yeah, you're right :biggrin:

They put the first note in so you had an idea of the range.

What was the BPM of it? I put 92 I think, Was probably wrong. I think I doubled the beats though... Would have been nearer around 45 in that case...

i put 120 =/
...and the one source ive found says that it's major
which would make sense as it's like sound the trumpets
ahh u did that?
that sucks =(
but you cant be as bad as your teacher teaching you the wrong syllabus so not knowing anything about britpop or expressionism :frown:
Reply 172
i put 92bpm for that song aswell cause i think it is. it was too slow for 120 and too slow for 60. seemed to fit right bang in the middle
kaderk
i put 92bpm for that song aswell cause i think it is. it was too slow for 120 and too slow for 60. seemed to fit right bang in the middle

yeah i reckon it's 92 cos it was about the same as my britpop composition which was 100
and i did the whole "counting whilst looking at watch" trick
and it seemed to fit alright
Reply 174
yeah thats how i figured out the bpm - the watch trick.

Also i just remembered - could anyone get five whole points on that african singing? i think i got to four and had to make up a fifth - they always ask for one more feature than i know :frown:
Reply 175
singer was soprano... girl in my class does opera!
I got 92 bpm on the Britpop question.
I put soprano on the voice question - I didn't realise it was a guy, and at the music conference Cathy Shaw herself said that a female voice would always be soprano in the listening paper.

I'm sure I made loads of mistakes on that paper...but they always mark it very kindly...
rosalowis
singer was soprano... girl in my class does opera!

That piece is a duet for two counter-tenors, and it's not from an opera. I put soprano as well :frown:
Reply 178
mehitabel
That piece is a duet for two counter-tenors, and it's not from an opera. I put soprano as well :frown:

I found the Purcell piece on iTunes!

Definitely Countertenors!
Reply 179
puppylv
I found the Purcell piece on iTunes!

Definitely Countertenors!

what's the name of the piece please? or a youtube link to it would be nice

Latest