The Student Room Group

Sick of trig

Why is there so much trigonometry in year two of A Level maths??
I used to like trig but this is so much and it's not even that it's hard, which it kind of is, but it's too much. I feel like I've been doing the same thing for ages but with extra stuff added every time that we also have to remember.
Everything I am doing right now is trig and it's driving me crazy.

Has any got any tips on how to revise trig/ understand it easier than doing all the questions in the book, which don't seem like they will even be helpful to me when it comes to exams. I planned on doing all the questions in the book we are learning from and then revise using other resources but I'm wondering if I should just give up on the book completely.
Well, firstly what exam board are you doing ?

Secondly, a lot of the second year topics are conceptually difficult topics that you can't really master without thorough practice. It's annoying (if you don't enjoy maths) but that's just the way it is.

I personally can't suggest how to make it more enjoyable since that comes to me pretty naturally as maths is literally one of my favourite things there is. But intrinsic motivation (whatever that is for you) will work far better than extrinsic. Positive motivation is often LESS effective than negative, but not always. For me, positive is significantly less effective. But for some people, negative motivation actually causes them to give up. You need to work out what works best for you and feed yourself a heavy dose of that so you can get through the topic of trigonometry. Because trigonometry is the second biggest topic in Maths A Level (after Calculus). So it's important to have a strong understanding of it if targeting the highest grades.
Reply 2
Original post by Aayush :)
Well, firstly what exam board are you doing ?

Secondly, a lot of the second year topics are conceptually difficult topics that you can't really master without thorough practice. It's annoying (if you don't enjoy maths) but that's just the way it is.

I personally can't suggest how to make it more enjoyable since that comes to me pretty naturally as maths is literally one of my favourite things there is. But intrinsic motivation (whatever that is for you) will work far better than extrinsic. Positive motivation is often LESS effective than negative, but not always. For me, positive is significantly less effective. But for some people, negative motivation actually causes them to give up. You need to work out what works best for you and feed yourself a heavy dose of that so you can get through the topic of trigonometry. Because trigonometry is the second biggest topic in Maths A Level (after Calculus). So it's important to have a strong understanding of it if targeting the highest grades.

I also used to really enjoy maths and I even didn't mind trig but it's feeling repetitive for me now and I am starting to enjoy it less. I'm not sure if this is because I'm having to teach myself since my teacher doesn't really teach or if all my subjects are just getting too much for me at this point.

My exam board is Edexcel, we use the books given by them and I thought it would be helpful to do most questions in there but many of them don't seem to be helpful. I've been watching a lot of videos recently on maths that aren't relevant to anything I'm doing but I find them really interesting. I think my issue might be that I'm being told to do stuff but not understanding why I'm doing it so I'm not having fun doing it.
Original post by Anna Sun
I also used to really enjoy maths and I even didn't mind trig but it's feeling repetitive for me now and I am starting to enjoy it less. I'm not sure if this is because I'm having to teach myself since my teacher doesn't really teach or if all my subjects are just getting too much for me at this point.

My exam board is Edexcel, we use the books given by them and I thought it would be helpful to do most questions in there but many of them don't seem to be helpful. I've been watching a lot of videos recently on maths that aren't relevant to anything I'm doing but I find them really interesting. I think my issue might be that I'm being told to do stuff but not understanding why I'm doing it so I'm not having fun doing it.

Do the hard questions. As A2 trigonometry goes, they tend to ask at the more difficult end of the question difficulty scale. So you should make sure your basics are stepped in deeper foundations than the mariana trench and then really challenge yourself with hard proofs and applications.

Quick Reply

Latest