The Student Room Group

Real life applicability.

I've been thinking lately that a lot of what is taught at school. I've begin to think that while subjects at school can be interesting yet a lot of it doesn't serve doesn't serve particular real-life applicability. Furthermore, a lot of what does have real-life applicability like the laws and the government of a country is not really taught. Any comments?
Reply 1
Yes, you are right. There was once an O Level called British Constitution that taught about the laws and the government of Britain but it did not make it into the GCSE era.
Original post by Theta799
I've been thinking lately that a lot of what is taught at school. I've begin to think that while subjects at school can be interesting yet a lot of it doesn't serve doesn't serve particular real-life applicability.

General knowledge is vital to all sorts of things. For example it protects you from believing in rubbish conspiracy theories.
School knowledge with a little bit of your own curiosity allows debunking all arguments for faked Apollo for example.

Original post by Theta799

Furthermore, a lot of what does have real-life applicability like the laws and the government of a country is not really taught. Any comments?

I agree some basics of law, constitution, and political systems should be taught. I also believe that logic, eristics and theory of argumentation should be taught, especially these days, when access to information is easier than ever, but it's getting increasingly difficult to separate rubbish from the information of genuine value. The West stands on the edge of ochlocracy, therefore we should put all the efforts possible to improve the level of mental skills and awareness of people.
Reply 3
Original post by PTMalewski
I agree some basics of law, constitution, and political systems should be taught. I also believe that logic, eristics and theory of argumentation should be taught, especially these days, when access to information is easier than ever, but it's getting increasingly difficult to separate rubbish from the information of genuine value.

Damn, this might be extraneous, but reading this reminds me of the A-level combination I was originally thinking of: politics, law and philosophy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending