The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Still worried about maths Edexcel. Predicted an A* but I’m sure I got a C or something 😭😭😭
Original post by HappyMedic2001
Still worried about maths Edexcel. Predicted an A* but I’m sure I got a C or something 😭😭😭

I’d be lucky if I got a c
What mark do you think you got out of 300?
Just try and enjoy your holidays, I'm already getting a bit bored haha.
Original post by HappyMedic2001
Does anyone have the individual grade boundaries for each paper for the exams sat in 2018? I can't seem to find them but I know they exist because I saw them briefly in the past. If so, please could you post it on here or message a screenshot of it?
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/08/10/maths-a-level-expected-have-lowest-pass-rate-history/

Haven't read the rest but based on the title... Never mind I read it again. Let's see what happens
(edited 4 years ago)

Oh man.... not surprised tbh. It’s making me think that the grade boundaries may not have shifted by much if they expect more people to fail:frown:
Original post by Khushi.S
Oh man.... not surprised tbh. It’s making me think that the grade boundaries may not have shifted by much if they expect more people to fail:frown:

Pessimistic me thought of it wrong Experts have said that a new Government policy, where schools are offered a cash incentive of up to £2,400 for every extra student that takes Maths in the sixth form, may have played a role.

Barnaby Lenon, chair of the Independent Schools Council, said: "This is the first cohort taking Maths A-level encouraged to do so by the extra money that schools get.

"What that means is, you may have a group of weaker students taking Maths A-level than there were in the past. It may be that you only need low marks to get reasonably high grades due to the combination of students and hard exams
Basically the pass mark could be lowest ever due to the financial incentives so weaker ability students taking the subject. But obvs that depends on how everyone did. So nothing new
Original post by BonsaiColony
Pessimistic me thought of it wrong Experts have said that a new Government policy, where schools are offered a cash incentive of up to £2,400 for every extra student that takes Maths in the sixth form, may have played a role.

Barnaby Lenon, chair of the Independent Schools Council, said: "This is the first cohort taking Maths A-level encouraged to do so by the extra money that schools get.

"What that means is, you may have a group of weaker students taking Maths A-level than there were in the past. It may be that you only need low marks to get reasonably high grades due to the combination of students and hard exams

Oh right, I misinterpreted the last post, that doesn’t seem so bad then
https://www.tes.com/news/more-top-grades-predicted-english-and-maths-a-levels
This article says there are more top grades? In maths...
tbf I haven’t read it properly aha
also does anyone have full access to the telegraph article?
Reply 2453
So opposite conclusions from TES and Torygraph. The press are often hopelessly in accurate, as you discover when they write about things you really know about. I know which one I think knows more about education, so remain hopeful that Edexcel will have to be generous to the first cohort of the new exam as they were for the 2017 GCSE maths.

Edit - to be fair they may not incompatible conclusions. It may be that there are more top grade but also more who don't manage to pass if they were pushed towards maths and did not really have the ability. Seems unlikely though as most schools will not let you do A level unless you have at least a 6 at GCSE.
(edited 4 years ago)
praying the further maths ones are lower.
Original post by CaptainCurry56
praying the further maths ones are lower.

Lol same I just miss out on the A*s with theze

Latest

Trending

Trending