The Student Room Group

Getting A* in math in year 12?

How possible is this? i got an 8 in gcse math and i enjoy maths (maybe not applied side lol) Should i also revise things outside the textbooks to get a better understanding of things? or should i just stick to the content in the textbook onlly. Also btw im a private candidate
Wait, you want to take your A-level in year 12 or you just want to get an A* in your end of year test going into year 2?
Both are easily feasible with an 8. The only problem is probably the applied side as it's 50% of your grade. It is very achievable if you put effort in.
Reply 2
Original post by revo349
How possible is this? i got an 8 in gcse math and i enjoy maths (maybe not applied side lol) Should i also revise things outside the textbooks to get a better understanding of things? or should i just stick to the content in the textbook onlly. Also btw im a private candidate

Im currently also in y12 i also got an 8, 7 marks of a 9 and 3 marks of a 9 in gcse further. I so far have done multiple AS past papers for the edexcel exam board and if i achieved the same % of marks in both mech and stats I would achieve an A, (there is no A* in AS papers btw) in the AS papers my highest score being 73/100 in the pure papers just by watching TL A level maths and doing the questions on the videos. Year 12 is fairly easy I have done some year 13 content by accident because I didn't believe year 12 pure was that easy i thought i was still doing year 12 content.

You can nail the exams im sure if you just put in some hours tbh you could learn all of A level maths during the halloween holiday. His playlist for all of a level maths is 103 hours so 15 hours a day is doable if you wish too ofc.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by jack_ray13
Im currently also in y12 i also got an 8, 7 marks of a 9 and 3 marks of a 9 in gcse further. I so far have done multiple AS past papers for the edexcel exam board and if i achieved the same % of marks in both mech and stats I would achieve an A, (there is no A* in AS papers btw) in the AS papers my highest score being 73/100 in the pure papers just by watching TL A level maths and doing the questions on the videos. Year 12 is fairly easy I have done some year 13 content by accident because I didn't believe year 12 pure was that easy i thought i was still doing year 12 content.

You can nail the exams im sure if you just put in some hours tbh you could learn all of A level maths during the halloween holiday. His playlist for all of a level maths is 103 hours so 15 hours a day is doable if you wish too ofc.

dahm what u have already learnt all of pure 1 and mech/stats 1? did u just start yr 12?
Original post by jack_ray13

dahm nice bro, ive pretty much just finished pure 1 im on unit 14 logs rn should be finished in like 2 days. I learnt it all over the summer holidays mostly lol. I havent rlly dont any past papers because i want to finish the content first but i did do one like last week and got 60/100. Not amazing but decent considering i didnt learn logs yet lol. Icl im worried about mech and stats because i think i will hate it. Pure maths is fire tho
Reply 5
Original post by Can'tDecideAName
Wait, you want to take your A-level in year 12 or you just want to get an A* in your end of year test going into year 2?
Both are easily feasible with an 8. The only problem is probably the applied side as it's 50% of your grade. It is very achievable if you put effort in.

Where do you get the 50% from?
Reply 6
Original post by revo349

Are you self-teaching? We teah one group Maths in Year 12 and then Further in Year 13. Virtually all get A*.
Original post by Muttley79
Are you self-teaching? We teah one group Maths in Year 12 and then Further in Year 13. Virtually all get A*.

yeah im taking it as private candidate
Reply 8
Original post by revo349
yeah im taking it as private candidate

Why? If you are doing Edexcel then I recommend: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/courses.php?coid=29
Reply 9
Original post by revo349
dahm what u have already learnt all of pure 1 and mech/stats 1? did u just start yr 12?

nah i just learnt pure im learning mechanics rn haha ye im y12
Original post by revo349
dahm nice bro, ive pretty much just finished pure 1 im on unit 14 logs rn should be finished in like 2 days. I learnt it all over the summer holidays mostly lol. I havent rlly dont any past papers because i want to finish the content first but i did do one like last week and got 60/100. Not amazing but decent considering i didnt learn logs yet lol. Icl im worried about mech and stats because i think i will hate it. Pure maths is fire tho

Yee nicee pure maths is indeed fire

Logs are pretty nice i pretty much have learnt all of pure maths just gotta do logs equations like and decay and growth and vectors but then im finished
Reply 11
In IAL as the inaugural cohort of my school, came off a 9 (191/200) in IGCSE Maths.

I took P1, P2 and S1 in October 2020 (postponed from June). I obtained 93/100, 98/100 and 100/100. S1's curve was crazy as that was the hardest ever exam.
Then in January 2021, I took P3 and M1, obtaining 84/100 and 85/100. I decided to do P3 again with CAGs in June 2021.
I obtained 95/100 and 85/100 in P3 and P4 respectively. With a combined 180 in P3 and P4, plus a total score of 556, I was able to get an A*.
Original post by Muttley79
Why? If you are doing Edexcel then I recommend: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/courses.php?coid=29

cus im also in a college doing a lvl 3 BTEC course worth 3 a levels, and i cant do the math in there so i have to do it at home xd. im also doing it in 1 yr cus i wanna go uni next year
Original post by revo349

oh ma days SAMEEE i got 8 too and im a private candidate n ive been looking to possible do the sameeee
Original post by hibyehereforasec
oh ma days SAMEEE i got 8 too and im a private candidate n ive been looking to possible do the sameeee

yoo sick bro. lmfao i should make a gc with all the ppl doing the same
Reply 15
Original post by revo349

how are you self-teaching, do you have any resources in particular? would love to know

Quick Reply

Latest