The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wetti
Did anyone manage to do the proof of n^2 + 2 divisible by 4? Proofs are definitely my weakest point

Yeah I did if n is even = 2n
(2n)^2 + 2 = 2N^2 + 4n + 2
= 4 (2n^2 + 2n) +2 so can’t be a multiple of 4

If n is odd = 2n + 1
(2n+1)^2 + 2 = 4n^2 + 4n + 2
= 4 (n^2 + n) + 2 so can’t be a multiple of 4
That’s also the same thing, your answer is also correct
Original post by Seb2852001
I did 20000*1.25^(-t)
Original post by Maherm
How do u do log one

basically you use the log rules so you know log a -log b = is the same as saying log a/b
so you say log a/b = log a-b
and you take both of them to the 10 to cancel out the logs so basically you get
a/b =a-b
and you times both sides by b
so you get a= ab-b^2
so you re arrange the equation to get all the a's on one side
so b^2= ab-a
and you factorise a so b^2 = a(b-1)
and then you just rearrange again to give it in the form the wanted which was b^2 / (b-1) = a
I rounded it to 173 min and 3 seconds
Original post by jason0597
173 minutes and 2.5 seconds i think
Original post by Vetmedworkexp
Yeah I did if n is even = 2n
(2n)^2 + 2 = 2N^2 + 4n + 2
= 4 (2n^2 + 2n) +2 so can’t be a multiple of 4

If n is odd = 2n + 1
(2n+1)^2 + 2 = 4n^2 + 4n + 2
= 4 (n^2 + n) + 2 so can’t be a multiple of 4

that's exactly what i did
Original post by ChemEng456
i got a 7/2 for completing the square
2(x+1)^2+7/2

U needed to multiply by 2 to get 7
Reply 1187
Petition to make maths exams 2hrs 30 mins or at least 2hrs15 like chemistry. Timing should not be this much of a deciding factor, the exam should rather be focused on actual maths skills
Signifance of root at x=5.224???
Question one was the factor theorem one, 7 was the car price exponential one, 6 was the tan x equals 4 one, and 13 was that horrible integration one with q and p (just realising now that I should have used partial fractions instead of by parts ...)

Original post by Quirky Object
Does anyone remember the question order? I might be able to do an unofficial mark scheme. I thought it was quite a good paper but now I'm second guessing my answers lol
Was differentiating arcsin taken out of the spec??
how was it? pretty challenging paper from FM students perspective hence why a lot of SM students found it very easy to make mistakes
Original post by Cutiebabe307
idk those were last years grade boundaries... I have a feeling (and I also REALLY hope) this years will be lower.
Last year the only people who sat it were those who finished the whole A level syllabus in a a year, which I'm guessing are a just a few geniuses or something

grade boundaries last year were 77% overall for an A*, 61% for an A, and 52% for a B.
(edited 4 years ago)
I got (33/10)ln(3) - (24/5)ln(2)
Original post by slily
Did anyone else get -2ln(2)+3ln(3) or -2ln(3)+3ln(2) can't remember which one for the partial fraction integration question?
I’ve got 173 mins 4 sec
Original post by Heidi-Heather
I got this too! Fingers crossed.
I reckon I got around 80? Enough for an A*?
I got - 14 as the one that should not be used
Original post by Dr.Straw
I think I hit the **** it button and said no to -1/2 because it’s not an integer lmao
HELLO EVERYONE! JUST TO LET YOU KNOW I FAILED THAT. I MISSED OUT HALF THE PAPER. HALF. IM DONE. I HAVE FAILED. I HAVE FAILED. GOD KNOWS HOW YOU ALL FOUND IT EASY BUT I FOUND THAT BLOODY HARD. Everyone around me is saying it was EASY please is there anyone failing with me - like legitimately anyone who did bad - dont want anyone who 'thinks they did bad'. Wheres everyone whos failed. Join the club if there are any or ill just die alone tbh :frown:
Doesn’t anyone know where unofficial mark scheme is
Haha what an easy exam :biggrin: Looking forward to further maths tomorrow!

Latest

Trending

Trending