The Student Room Group

Graduate entry medicine

I am a first year student at the University of Nottingham studying Biochemistry & Genetics. I am really considering applying for graduate entry medicine after I graduate. I did apply for undergraduate medicine but was unfortunate in my attempts. I have heard that graduate entry medicine is extremely competitive, I just wanted to hear from other people's experiences applying for graduate medicine and if they have any advice. I know it seems too early to be thinking about it, but I just like planning ahead and I really want to get onto a course so bad. :smile:
Hi!

Good to hear you're still keen - I applied for Medicine in my final year of undergrad and was encouraged to go for 2 x grad and 2 x undergrad courses. You're correct in that grad courses are super competitive to get into - the funding and shortened time makes them understandably very attractive! I ended up getting into a 5 year course and there are surprisingly many graduates in my position also.

Whilst I encourage you to go for grad courses I would also say consider the undergrad route too - there are many of us doing it and often because you are competing against people going straight from school it means you often have had a lot more opportunities by that point. The funding is ofc a barrier but does not make it impossible - you still get student maintenance loans for the first four years and my med school also gave me a bursary which helped to cover my fees and I work as a band 3 in addition to this. If you are able to attend a uni near to home and have a supportive family/partner then this is possible.

If you want any more info feel free to PM x
Thank you so much :smile:
Original post by thatonethere
Hi!

Good to hear you're still keen - I applied for Medicine in my final year of undergrad and was encouraged to go for 2 x grad and 2 x undergrad courses. You're correct in that grad courses are super competitive to get into - the funding and shortened time makes them understandably very attractive! I ended up getting into a 5 year course and there are surprisingly many graduates in my position also.

Whilst I encourage you to go for grad courses I would also say consider the undergrad route too - there are many of us doing it and often because you are competing against people going straight from school it means you often have had a lot more opportunities by that point. The funding is ofc a barrier but does not make it impossible - you still get student maintenance loans for the first four years and my med school also gave me a bursary which helped to cover my fees and I work as a band 3 in addition to this. If you are able to attend a uni near to home and have a supportive family/partner then this is possible.

If you want any more info feel free to PM x
Are there any difference in fees for international students between GEM and the 5 year undergrad course? Or do they total out to be about the same?
I don't think so
Original post by the_somersaulter
Are there any difference in fees for international students between GEM and the 5 year undergrad course? Or do they total out to be about the same?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending