The Student Room Group

Medical School

I finished my GCSE’s this year achieving grade 6 for chemistry, physics and biology, grade 7 for english literature and history and grade 8 for french, german, english language and maths. I originally wanted to continue on with the school I went to by attending the sixth form they offer. My subjects at first were chemistry, physics, maths and further maths since I enjoyed these subjects but I got an offer for an apprenticeship in a pharmacy which meant I left sixth form and pursued that instead.

I’ve wanted to work in healthcare for a while so I aw this as the perfect opportunity and I took it. However, now I’m thinking I wish I had continued with my studies so that I could try to get into university to study medicine.

At the end of this apprenticeship I can then go onto the level 4 BTEC diploma for pharmacy clinical services and then an undergraduate course for MPharm (I think). Would it be possible to either go from the level 4 diploma to undergraduate medicine or go from undergraduate pharmacy to graduate medicine? I know nothing about the process since I always dreamed about this career path but never looked into it. I’ve read things where people say something about pre-reg and 2:1 which I don’t understand the meaning of.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
If you are going to pursue medicine then I would suggest you contact some of your potential Universities and ask what they would require- they all differ in their requirements but I can tell you they will want evidence of recent study. It is possible some Unis would consider your existing qualifications but I don't know of any that would consider anyone without A levels or qualifications at that level. You would have to email them, explain your academic and employment history and ask. Some of them may accept an Access course which you could do in 9 months but they are intense.

2:1 is a final grade for an undergraduate degree.
Reply 2
Original post by ErasistratusV
If you are going to pursue medicine then I would suggest you contact some of your potential Universities and ask what they would require- they all differ in their requirements but I can tell you they will want evidence of recent study. It is possible some Unis would consider your existing qualifications but I don't know of any that would consider anyone without A levels or qualifications at that level. You would have to email them, explain your academic and employment history and ask. Some of them may accept an Access course which you could do in 9 months but they are intense.

2:1 is a final grade for an undergraduate degree.

Thank you I will look into that! I think I’ll look into the access course too. Thanks for your help :smile:
Original post by srogers22
I finished my GCSE’s this year achieving grade 6 for chemistry, physics and biology, grade 7 for english literature and history and grade 8 for french, german, english language and maths. I originally wanted to continue on with the school I went to by attending the sixth form they offer. My subjects at first were chemistry, physics, maths and further maths since I enjoyed these subjects but I got an offer for an apprenticeship in a pharmacy which meant I left sixth form and pursued that instead.

I’ve wanted to work in healthcare for a while so I aw this as the perfect opportunity and I took it. However, now I’m thinking I wish I had continued with my studies so that I could try to get into university to study medicine.

At the end of this apprenticeship I can then go onto the level 4 BTEC diploma for pharmacy clinical services and then an undergraduate course for MPharm (I think). Would it be possible to either go from the level 4 diploma to undergraduate medicine or go from undergraduate pharmacy to graduate medicine? I know nothing about the process since I always dreamed about this career path but never looked into it. I’ve read things where people say something about pre-reg and 2:1 which I don’t understand the meaning of.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

For medicine I think you would realistically need to do A-levels in sciences or an acceptable Access to Medicine Course. I don't think the apprenticeship will meet the requirements for a medical degree, although you can always ask.

If your goal is medicine you would be best off just going either of those routes (A-levels or Access course - the latter however you would need to verify the Access course in question is accepted by the medical schools you want to apply to, as not all med schools accept all Access courses) rather than aiming for GEM.

GEM takes longer, and also costs more, as you don't get full funding from SFE for GEM courses. It's also much more competitive than standard entry medicine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending