The Student Room Group

Optometry to medicine

I would like to ask about the route that the optometrists you know took to become Ophthalmologists. I have currently applied for Optometry but am thinking about doing Ophthalmology now and trying to weigh out my options. Did they complete the whole optom degree first and then do the whole 5 years of medical school etc, or was there a different route they took?
Thank you for your time and appreciate any help with this 🙏🏻
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by Koi.
Hello, this is quite a late response 😅 however,
I would like to ask about the route that the optometrists you know took to become Ophthalmologists. I have currently applied for Optometry but am thinking about doing Ophthalmology now and trying to weigh out my options. Did they complete the whole optom degree first and then do the whole 5 years of medical school etc, or was there a different route they took?
Thank you for your time and appreciate any help with this 🙏🏻

The only way to become an ophthalmologist is to go to medical school and then complete the necessary specialty training. All medical specialties require a medicine degree.
Reply 2
Ahh okay, thank you for your response! one last question though, would it be possible to lets say integrate from your first year of optom to a med degree early on? i’ve heard it’s reallly hard to transfer into medicine 😭

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending