The Student Room Group

Wait...do i just become a doctor???

Yeah kinda need help with this one. For context, I am currently in year 12 taking Biology, Chemistry and Sociology, so i do have the A-Levels needed and I'm fairly confident that i will achieve that A*AA most unis look for. Initially when picking these subjects i wanted to go into the biomedical field or somewhere in healthcare. I soon realized that biomed was like mainly research based ig and i wanted more social or people interaction.

I have considered becoming a PA but that's just not cutting it for me, there aren't that many job prospects for it either. And whenever I do think about becoming a PA in the back of my mind there's a tiny voice that goes "you could've been a doctor by the time you become a PA."

I understand that it's a lot of hard work though, but nothing in life comes for free. My main concerns about becoming a doctor though is the financial side and how much of my life it'll take up. My parents say that they willl ove to help me and pay my future uni fees but i know we just don't have that type of money despite what they say, so ideally i want to stay in London. Additionally, i feel like i'm a bit sensitive. I don't just casually cry but like if i were to come across an emotionally distressing situation, i just wouldn't know how to react properly.

Ok this has gone on for too long but one final thing. I just don't know why exactly I want to become a Dr. Like I've just been thinking about becoming one for since last month. It's in my heart but i'm just not too sure why. I've subconsciously started watching videos on how to prepare of the UCAT even though I'm not 100% sure. Many people around me want to become Doctors too, it's a dream they've had since childhood and they know exactly what to specialize in.Even my friends say that i clearly want to do medicine but im not too sure.I know it sounds ridiculous but I feel like I'm too late to that journey , like i've missed out on so many medicine related programmes and experiences at the beginning of the year, whilst everyone else around me have been doing this since "they were born" i suppose.

So basically, it seems really exciting to do medicine so...do I do it??
Original post by hotzoop
Yeah kinda need help with this one. For context, I am currently in year 12 taking Biology, Chemistry and Sociology, so i do have the A-Levels needed and I'm fairly confident that i will achieve that A*AA most unis look for. Initially when picking these subjects i wanted to go into the biomedical field or somewhere in healthcare. I soon realized that biomed was like mainly research based ig and i wanted more social or people interaction.
I have considered becoming a PA but that's just not cutting it for me, there aren't that many job prospects for it either. And whenever I do think about becoming a PA in the back of my mind there's a tiny voice that goes "you could've been a doctor by the time you become a PA."
I understand that it's a lot of hard work though, but nothing in life comes for free. My main concerns about becoming a doctor though is the financial side and how much of my life it'll take up. My parents say that they willl ove to help me and pay my future uni fees but i know we just don't have that type of money despite what they say, so ideally i want to stay in London. Additionally, i feel like i'm a bit sensitive. I don't just casually cry but like if i were to come across an emotionally distressing situation, i just wouldn't know how to react properly.
Ok this has gone on for too long but one final thing. I just don't know why exactly I want to become a Dr. Like I've just been thinking about becoming one for since last month. It's in my heart but i'm just not too sure why. I've subconsciously started watching videos on how to prepare of the UCAT even though I'm not 100% sure. Many people around me want to become Doctors too, it's a dream they've had since childhood and they know exactly what to specialize in.Even my friends say that i clearly want to do medicine but im not too sure.I know it sounds ridiculous but I feel like I'm too late to that journey , like i've missed out on so many medicine related programmes and experiences at the beginning of the year, whilst everyone else around me have been doing this since "they were born" i suppose.
Get your a levels, take a year out, get some healthcare experience and then decide. You have to be serious and committed to take medicine. The interview process is rigorous enough and then it’s a hard slog, academically and physically. Be absolutely sure that this is the career you want- don’t just do what your friends are doing and don’t rush any decisions.
Reply 2
Original post by Aerial125
Original post by hotzoop
Get your a levels, take a year out, get some healthcare experience and then decide. You have to be serious and committed to take medicine. The interview process is rigorous enough and then it’s a hard slog, academically and physically. Be absolutely sure that this is the career you want- don’t just do what your friends are doing and don’t rush any decisions.

Thank you! Do you have any idea how to get work experience other than emailing around, practices seem to air me all the time
Care homes, ask people you know or who have links with and your school may know of a scheme that you can apply for. You could also work as a teaching assistant in a special needs class/school. Try anything to gain experience in a caring profession. Also, as you do the work, make sure to reflect on what you’ve done - and how relevant it is to your career as a doctor.
Original post by hotzoop
Thank you! Do you have any idea how to get work experience other than emailing around, practices seem to air me all the time

You need to be a polite pest.

Check hospitals too - many have dedicated work experience programmes. They may also take ages to get back to you (if at all) but you need to keep bothering them until you get a reply. Apply far and wide.

You don't need to have wanted to do medicine since you were born. Take time, do research, gather experience, then just go for it. The "worst case" scenario is you do it and realise it's not for you in which case you can easily leave and do biomed. I wouldn't advise doing PA.
Original post by hotzoop
You need to get some propper work experience to see what medicine is like, and even then you won’t prepared for the career… so many students want to do medicine and then again so many junior doctors wish they hadn’t chose the career. Long working hours, bad pay, not good working conditions… this is all something you need to be aware. So essentially like others have said you need to get some work experience ( you don’t need to take a gap year to do so) and make sure you smash your admission tests and interviews.

I had to take a gap year cause I didn’t get in first time and currently have 2 offers

Good luck
Reply 6
Original post by Democracy
You need to be a polite pest.
Check hospitals too - many have dedicated work experience programmes. They may also take ages to get back to you (if at all) but you need to keep bothering them until you get a reply. Apply far and wide.
You don't need to have wanted to do medicine since you were born. Take time, do research, gather experience, then just go for it. The "worst case" scenario is you do it and realise it's not for you in which case you can easily leave and do biomed. I wouldn't advise doing PA.

Thank you! Can I ask why you wouldn't recommend becoming a PA. I know that there are limited job opportunities but is there anything else ?
And btw you don’t need to do any medicine programmes. As long as you’ve done some WEX in a GP/ hospital and have some good volunteering experiences you should be sorted. Interviewers don’t care about what you’ve done, it’s what you’ve learnt from it and how you explain this that matters the most.
Original post by hotzoop
Thank you! Can I ask why you wouldn't recommend becoming a PA. I know that there are limited job opportunities but is there anything else ?
A big question they can ask in interview is why medicine and not another healthcare career (eg PA) so looking at your question you’ve still need to do allot of research and find out why you want to do medicine (another question they can ask)
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous_7871
A big question they can ask in interview is why medicine and not another healthcare career (eg PA) so looking at your question you’ve still need to do allot of research and find out why you want to do medicine (another question they can ask)

Thank you!!
Original post by hotzoop

Because it's half-baked nonsense. Either become a doctor or don't, but you can't have your cake and eat it too :p:
Original post by hotzoop

You need a personal approach. Print your cv and hand it to your pharmacist, gp, next hospital. Apply online at the NHS they have volunteering programs. Also: after a medical degree there are millions of opportunities outside of the traditional healthcare sector if you find that that’s too intense or sensitive for you. Like in banking, insurance etc. there’s plenty of time for you until you are going to hit the job market. Until then you will have gained so much experience and knowledge and met lots of people on your journey which all helps to make your decision. Good luck 🍀
Original post by Democracy
Because it's half-baked nonsense. Either become a doctor or don't, but you can't have your cake and eat it too :p:

Your view of the world is very limited it seems. There are plenty of medical professionals working in other fields of the economy. A doctor doesn’t have to become a gp or a surgeon!
Andrea - I believe the comment is being made about avoiding becoming a physician’s associate- which is not recommended.
Original post by AndreaAlman
Your view of the world is very limited it seems. There are plenty of medical professionals working in other fields of the economy. A doctor doesn’t have to become a gp or a surgeon!

Well yes, a doctor doesn't have to become a GP or surgeon but a PA isn't a doctor so there goes that analogy.
Definitely think carefully about if it is for you. I've a number of friends who hold medicine and nursing degrees, but none of them actively work as a doctor/nurse anymore and they would never go back.
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending