The Student Room Group

LADS - Remainders from long division method? (GCSE math)

So I got the following question.

487 is divided by 23
What is the remainder?
You must show all your working.

I went through long division with it but the remainder was stretched to sh*t was what I thought. But I gave up at 021.17391304347826 cause a 2 marker wouldn't take that long. I consulted the casio and to my surprise the answer is 21.1739130 (well technically it's 1739130).

Now see here's where sh*t confuses me and I need this cleared up. I assume that when you get a question like the one above in a non-calculator paper and you go through long division you stop dividing when you get a 0 after the decimal point.

Am I correct in my assumption?
Original post by AspiringAccount
So I got the following question.

487 is divided by 23
What is the remainder?
You must show all your working.

I went through long division with it but the remainder was stretched to sh*t was what I thought. But I gave up at 021.17391304347826 cause a 2 marker wouldn't take that long. I consulted the casio and to my surprise the answer is 21.1739130 (well technically it's 1739130).

Now see here's where sh*t confuses me and I need this cleared up. I assume that when you get a question like the one above in a non-calculator paper and you go through long division you stop dividing when you get a 0 after the decimal point.

Am I correct in my assumption?

Lads...
Erm...you're not calculating the remainder atm :tongue: You're calculating 487/23...
You need to see how many whole 23s go into 487 (that's the 21 you've calculated) and subtract it from 487 to get the remainder (must be less than 23 or it's not a remainder)

Also you should only bump your thread after 24 hours as per TSR guidelines :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
lmao good luck getting ur 8 or 9

Quick Reply

Latest