The Student Room Group

Getting into university for Nursing MATHS test

I want to get in so, so badly and am really passionate about studying Mental Health nursing but my maths isnt great. Im really worried this will hold me back as I knowduring interview stage you have to sit a Maths test and pass it in order to get in. please can someone offer me any support or help me with the process?

Thank you in advance.
Reply 1
The maths wasn't too difficult at my interviews, it was all based on measurements you will use as a nurse such as milliliters and milligrams and how to convert different quantities.
This maths test I did was basic adding, subtracting, division, multiplying and one question on measurements.
being able to do the maths required for drug dosing is somewhat essential as a Nurse ...
Reply 4
Original post by Krissycontagious
I want to get in so, so badly and am really passionate about studying Mental Health nursing but my maths isnt great. Im really worried this will hold me back as I knowduring interview stage you have to sit a Maths test and pass it in order to get in. please can someone offer me any support or help me with the process?

Thank you in advance.

use a calculator :tongue: <3

Thank you in advance.

Not all uni's do a test at the interview stage but you will deffinately have to do one whether at uni or at the interview stage. It's just simple stuff that you need to know like adding, subtracting, dividing, fractions etc. You will have to do drug calculations as a nurse so yeah you need to be able to do maths.
Reply 6

Thank you in advance.

I'm not hot on maths either :tongue: i hadnt done it since GCSE but it really wasnt hard at all just basic addition subtraction and multiplication, i went on the BBC websites to practice and brush up before i went which definitely helped just as a refresher. i got 5 offers soo something must of worked :biggrin:
good luck :smile:
Thank you :smile:
I recently got accepted to do Mental Health Nursing. The maths was pretty simple just brush up on your fractions and manipulating them, division (inc long division), converting measurements, multiplication (inc long) and how to convert percentages to a whole number ... that's about it really. I have a math degree and i had to refresh on them as i couldn't think for the life of me how to do long division - mind blank! But there's a few good websites, just do a google search, that's how i refreshed!
Good luck :smile:
Thank so much your lovely. What uni?
Reply 10
Try http://www-users.york.ac.uk/~ijc4/numeracy.htm
http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/hsc/downloads/numeracyTestSampleQuestions.pdf
The tests really are quite easy. They must be if I passed all of mine. :smile:
Good luck!
It's really not that bad!

I've just begun my final year in MH Nursing and when I applied to universities that had a maths test as part of their entrance criteria I was bricking it! But it's simple. Fractions, percentages and decimals, arithmatic, measurements, reading graphs, all level 2 stuff. My advice would be to get a cheap, second hand GCSE revision book and memorise the formulas for working these types of problems out. It's what I did and I got 83%, and maths isn't my strongest subject either!

Most unis allow you to use a calculator anyway, and you need to have some mathematical ability to do drugs calculations.
Reply 12
Hie

Can anyone please share info on what the nursing selection day interview at hertfordshire uni is like?
What type of questions do they ask? And what topics are in their maths/numeracy test?

Thanks
:-)
Reply 13
Original post by Pixie!
I'm not hot on maths either :tongue: i hadnt done it since GCSE but it really wasnt hard at all just basic addition subtraction and multiplication, i went on the BBC websites to practice and brush up before i went which definitely helped just as a refresher. i got 5 offers soo something must of worked :biggrin:
good luck :smile:

What do you type on BBC websites to do maths? I’m stressed out

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending