The Student Room Group

Adult resit to go from 4 to 6+

I need help resitting my gcse maths. I received a 4 last time and I have completed other past papers and still don’t get above a 4. I really need to get above a 6.

I know I need to do past papers. How do I actually remember the method of doing the question? Also how do I recognise what type of question it is?

I’m thinking of writing every method down and then going through the papers with that on hand. Then gradually doing the papers without the written methods.

I need all the help I can get.

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Heatherthebat
I need help resitting my gcse maths. I received a 4 last time and I have completed other past papers and still don’t get above a 4. I really need to get above a 6.

I know I need to do past papers. How do I actually remember the method of doing the question? Also how do I recognise what type of question it is?

I’m thinking of writing every method down and then going through the papers with that on hand. Then gradually doing the papers without the written methods.

Thanks.

Writing the method down won’t help you if you don’t understand why you do each step. If you have the time to do this though, I would, but I’d also consider getting a tutor for a couple of hours to explain why and how to recognise what the questions are asking. You don’t have to pay a fortune. I’m sure you’ll find a student or sixth former who would be glad of a bit of pocket money.
Reply 2

Thanks.

For a "list/description" of the different methods, I like
https://m4ths.com/uploads/3/5/2/1/35219558/lite_book_-_free_copy.pdf
https://corbettmaths.com/revision-cards/
and it is partially a slog to make sure you know the different methods/approaches. Do some open book untimed to begin with and explicitly look at/think about the different approaches, then try the odd one timed/closed book without the aids. Go through the textbook/videos/practice questions (corbett,drforst,thegcsemathstutor,mathgenie, ...) for topics you find difficult and skill up as necessary before hitting lots of exam papers.

Edit - depenidng on when your exams are, a bit of daily practice would probably help and something like the corbett 5 a day
https://corbettmaths.com/5-a-day/gcse/
or a set of questions from drfrost.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 3
Thanks for your help.

Unfortunately I can’t afford a teacher. I will do the other suggestions. I do have a copy of the mentioned revision text, so will take a look.
Reply 4

Thanks.

Depending on how long you have until your paper I can tell you what I did to get better at maths:
1. go on maths genie --> gcse revision --> you will find all the topics, and attempt the questions, if you are not sure about the topic watch a video (either on maths genie or on youtube - The Gcse maths tutor is the best for maths) then do the questions.
2. I hate to say it but practice makes perfect, after you finish with the questions on maths genie (it might take a while but try to stay consistent by doing a set amount every day) then you want to start doing practice papers you can find these on the edexcel website physics and maths tutor basically anywhere.
3. if you find you still struggle with a topic then watch a video again - do more questions
4. finally approaching the exam you want to continue with past papers and keep up the momentum.
5. best case scenario this will get you a 9 but if not it will certainly get you high grades.
Reply 5
Thanks for the maths genie link that has been very helpful.

I have been doing a past paper every two days. I’ve gone from 5 away to 1 away from the grade 5, so it improving slowly.

I’ve also been able to find where my basic skills need improving and more careful attention - times tables and divisions of all things.

Timing wise I’m completing the paper 1s in an hour, so plenty of time to check.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 6
Update. I did a maths paper this morning - paper 1 higher. I not only achieved a grade 5 ( the first that high), I also answered it in 1 hour. I’m totally excited. Onwards and upwards.
Reply 7
Update. I did a maths paper this morning - paper 1 higher. I not only achieved a grade 5 ( the first that high), I also answered it in 1 hour. I’m totally excited. Onwards and upwards.

Have you seen these: https://www.missbsresources.com/teaching-and-learning/mathspassports

Start with 3
Reply 8

No I haven’t I’ll go take a look. Thanks.
Reply 9
I attempted a foundation paper and only got a grade 3, however my last attempt was a grade 2. It is improving. I definitely edge towards the higher being better for me as I’m scoring a grade 5 on those papers. Confusing I know.
Reply 10
A memorable day and update. I scored my first grade 6 on a higher past paper - non calculator. I’m jumping with joy.

I’ve been working on my basic times tables using flash cards and working to a 1 second recall. Also listening the maths question shorts on You Tube. On day a: I do a paper, mark and grade it, then on day b: I watch the how to on You Tube.

I’m still completing the paper in one hour giving me time to go over it if I need to.

The school noise You Tube videos are a must - to learn to zone out the noise. In my last maths exam it was extremely noisy, with troops of children pass the windows chatting. I was in adult education college at the time.

Onwards and upwards. There is hope for us all. If I can go from a 4 to a 6 I wonder what I can do by Sept and the entry date for a private student. 😃
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 11
A memorable day and update. I scored my first grade 6 on a higher past paper - non calculator. I’m jumping with joy.

I’ve been working on my basic times tables using flash cards and working to a 1 second recall. Also listening the maths question shorts on You Tube. On day a: I do a paper, mark and grade it, then on day b: I watch the how to on You Tube.

I’m still completing the paper in one hour giving me time to go over it if I need to.

The school noise You Tube videos are a must - to learn to zone out the noise. In my last maths exam it was extremely noisy, with troops of children pass the windows chatting. I was in adult education college at the time.

Onwards and upwards. There is hope for us all. If I can go from a 4 to a 6 I wonder what I can do by Sept and the entry date for a private student. 😃

I’m really pleased to read about your progress and it’s exhilarating to hear how enthusiastic you are about your objectives. Keep up the good work!! You will get there!!🍀👍🏻
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 12
Update just in case it helps someone.

I’m continuing to do past papers every other day and memory and recognising the questions has started. I’m still averaging grade 5.

I’ve started to use my memory palace (if you wish me to give details on this let me know) to expand from titles to method as well. I’ve also started to use loci/Roman room method for times tables. I pick a house I know well, that links to the times table, then place the answers round the house.

I’ve made a play list on You Tube for maths question shorts. There are a lot from the USA and India, so search for the maths question and not the gcse or Alevel. Most of the questions are really easy when someone explains it - find someone who gives details you like. A lot of the UK teachers don’t give the detail I need to understand the whys etc.

I am actually beginning to enjoy maths - shock horror I know. It’s like a detective story and one needs to solve the clues to find the criminal. I like detective books.

I must remember to go back to the curriculum to make sure I include everything. Primrose Kitten also does a good revision tick list which is a free printable.

I’m still struggling, but I think a change in mindset is good. See the questions as a puzzle like chess or crosswords - others can learn the skill so I can too. Maths isn’t a born skill everyone learns it.
Reply 13
Update. This week I am working on my maths memory palace.

The first layer is to decide the location of each subject and the second the location of sub topics. So a building for geometry, then a room for circles, another room for angles etc. For each room you connect to something in the room with something you want to remember that help you recall - the more outrageous the better. So a percentage sign would be something like a massive % shaped helium balloon.

Lastly you attach the method of how to do that % on that item as well. For instant my image for decrease and increase is an ironing board. On one side an ever increasing basket full of creased clothes. On the other side ironed t shirts hung on the wall with de and crease printed in the front.

Lastly you put other images with the ironing board how to do the % increase and decrease.

Once done, it can be drawn as well, one just keeps repeating the images in your head until you know where the item is and it’s easy to visualise how to do the sum.
Reply 14
Update. This week I am working on my maths memory palace.

The first layer is to decide the location of each subject and the second the location of sub topics. So a building for geometry, then a room for circles, another room for angles etc. For each room you connect to something in the room with something you want to remember that help you recall - the more outrageous the better. So a percentage sign would be something like a massive % shaped helium balloon.

Lastly you attach the method of how to do that % on that item as well. For instant my image for decrease and increase is an ironing board. On one side an ever increasing basket full of creased clothes. On the other side ironed t shirts hung on the wall with de and crease printed in the front.

Lastly you put other images with the ironing board how to do the % increase and decrease.

Once done, it can be drawn as well, one just keeps repeating the images in your head until you know where the item is and it’s easy to visualise how to do the sum.

It’s amazing how different minds work!! Some people need to see, others to hear or write things themselves. I am just a do the questions and correct the errors type of student and I think your method would have my brain scrambled like the contents of your un ironed laundry basket. But I’m really pleased that you have found your method and that it seems to be working. Keep up the good work, you’re quite an inspiration !!
(edited 10 months ago)
This weeks update - I’m scoring solid 5s now and begun to score 6s.

How the memory palaces work is much like learning lyrics in a song where you remember the first word of every line to remember the rest. The images are a prompt to remember the rest.
Are you taking Edexcel?

You need to learn key vocab - that's what points you to what type of question it is.
I can do either as I’m told the curriculum is the same. The exam centre covers both AQA and Excel.

I’ve adopted part of the Ace Your Alevels books - counting down days per subject and repeating over 80 days. I’ve spent 7 days on Algebra and know a lot more. In 2 days time I move onto geometry.

Im working on completing the repeats at mid September to see if I’m getting a good 7-9. If so then I’ll enter as a private student which costs £225.
Weekly update. I’ve completed the in-depth algebra and moved onto geometry.

I sat a past paper today and got a grade 6 a mere 3 points short of a 7. 😃 I found I could remember half the method for the difficult questions.

As I work in the evenings I study for a few hours every morning. Then refresh through out the day.

I’ve also looked into the Silvia method visualisation techniques and hand touches to help memory recall.

Ps I need to study the mark schemes as they show different methods to do the same question etc
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 19
Weekly update. I’ve completed the in-depth algebra and moved onto geometry.

I sat a past paper today and got a grade 6 a mere 3 points short of a 7. 😃 I found I could remember half the method for the difficult questions.

As I work in the evenings I study for a few hours every morning. Then refresh through out the day.

I’ve also looked into the Silvia method visualisation techniques and hand touches to help memory recall.

Ps I need to study the mark schemes as they show different methods to do the same question etc

Congratulations !!

Quick Reply

Latest