The Student Room Group

Bath vs Bristol economics

This has probably been asked here before but can't find a recent forum, would I have a greater chance at landing a front office job and/or a job in investment banking if I were to study economics at Bath or Bristol? Or is there not really much in it between the two?

Thanks
Very similar universities, I made that exact choice myself. Econ job prospects are pretty much the same at both. Only differences are location/culture/feel etc. Bristol is russel group which helps a touch.
Reply 2
Original post by DarthRoar
Very similar universities, I made that exact choice myself. Econ job prospects are pretty much the same at both. Only differences are location/culture/feel etc. Bristol is russel group which helps a touch.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah they're very close on the majority of different rankings with regards to the course itself and target universities for investment banking. It's pretty hard to find a difference between them academically and in relation to job prospects.
Original post by DaDaBatman
This has probably been asked here before but can't find a recent forum, would I have a greater chance at landing a front office job and/or a job in investment banking if I were to study economics at Bath or Bristol? Or is there not really much in it between the two?

Thanks

I'd choose Bristol, it's a bit more prestigious and successful in placing students in IB. I know quite a few people on the bath Econ course who've failed to get any placement year offers this year.
my gf went bristol and she's in m&a - top ranked in her class // plug.

they're both equally as good and both place well. had people from both schools in my cohort.

(Original post by DarthRoar)

(Original post by BenRyan99)

not sure where this myth arises, it doesn't
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Apparently they're both semi targets, but for what it's worth you'll see far more Bristol at the top banks than Bath.
Some EBs (ie PJT) will recruit at Bristol not at Bath - differences will be minimal and I wouldn't based my choice based on that though.
Original post by gr8wizard10

not sure where this myth arises, it doesn't
These days I would actually say bath - the ability to do a placement year means you are really well placed when applying for summers/grad jobs. So many bath grads in top finance roles now
Reply 8
what about Bristol being in Russell grp? Doe it not make any difference?
Honestly doesn't matter. I'd pick bristol given that I like being in cities and the night life is the best although from bath plenty of people go to bristol to party. Bristol seems to get a bit more looks from EBs though - but bath places well in large firms given their placement structure.
Original post by Iamlucky
what about Bristol being in Russell grp? Doe it not make any difference?
Russell group doesn’t matter - I would still say bath because of their strong careers pipeline. Can’t really go wrong with either
Both pretty much the same. I made the same choice myself. You should base your choice on lifestyle criteria as they differ massively, visit both, determine how much value you place on nightlife / living in a large student city etc
Hi there :smile:

I'm a 2nd year student at the University of Bath. I don't study economics so I am unable to give you a real insight into that, but as other posters have said, I think your decision should be based on the uni itself and the lifestyle so hopefully I can give you a bit more information about that :smile: I would definitely recommend visiting both unis so you can make the comparison for yourself.

Bath is a campus uni, situated about 10 minute bus ride from the centre of town (definitely walkable but it is up quite a big hill!), whereas Bristol is a city uni. In first year, you usually either live on campus or in the city accommodation. In years after that, students live in town. I currently live about 15/20 minutes walk from the centre of town and a 20/30 minute bus ride from campus.

Despite its reputation for being a small city, Bath has quite a lively nightlife. It is not as big as Bristol and the clubs are smaller but there is still a lot to do. You will find good night outs every night of the week with different themes and music so there's something for everyone. Bath also has a selection of pubs and bars which make for a great night out. The Students' Union on campus has two nights out a week; Score on a Wednesday and Klass on a Saturday - both of which are popular, lively student nights. Being a heritage city and a very popular tourist location, Bath is a stunning place to live with lots of culture to explore. The shopping is excellent and there is definitely everything you could need. Bristol is also only a 15 minute train ride away and many people do often go there for nights out.

I personally love having a campus uni but it is personal preference. I love the community feel of the uni - campus definitely feels like a large collection of supportive students. There are plenty of societies, sports and volunteering to be involved with the SU. Whether you already play a sport or have a hobby or want to try something brand new, there is something for beginners and pros alike. Bath has a reputation for being very sporty, which is true, but there is also lots of beginners and recreational play as well :smile:

Let me know if you have any questions about life at Bath and good luck with your decision!

Leah
2nd Year Chemical Engineering

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending