The Student Room Group

Bath vs Bristol vs Southampton

Hi all, I recently got responses from all my universities and would like to see what people think about each of them. I've narrowed down to:

- Bath (A*AA)
- Southampton (A*AA)
- Bristol (AAB)

All courses are G400 apart from Bath

At the moment Bath is the university that I think has the most potential. I got an offer for Computer Science and AI with a year in the industry/studying abroad. I like the idea of the course being focused on AI as that will be very sought after in the future, and the year in industry may be incredibly useful. The big downside to this university is that I have a lot of family in the city who I don't care to see. Of course I will be very busy so I'll have good excuses for why I can't see them often, but I will still need to show my face every now and them. Bath is also not a Russell group uni but I don't think that matters much.

Southampton I've heard a lot of good things about. I know they've had a lot of investment into their facilities and they have a good rep for computer science, I also really like the campus. Plenty of people say that the city is pretty awful though.

I managed to get a contextual offer for Bristol, so if it isn't my firm I will put it as my insurance. From what I've read Bristol falls behind Southampton a bit(?) in Computer Science although that info may be outdated. The one thing Bristol has over the other two is that it has the best name recognition, although I'm certainly not going to choose it for that alone.

That's about it. Would just like to hear how people think these Unis stack up against each other for computer science/in general.
All are great universities for STEM with minimal reputation differences. The cities, university opportunities (i.e. SU societies) & course structure are what I would focus on.

Id check with all universities but id imagine you can opt in to a year in industry at all 3 if you want to (but you’ll have to clarify with them all).
Any idea of which environment you would prefer to live in? They differ somewhat as cities. I would also compare cost of living.
what grades did u get predicted for ucas at end of yr12? and what did u get end of yr13?
Original post by thatsthat
Hi all, I recently got responses from all my universities and would like to see what people think about each of them. I've narrowed down to:

- Bath (A*AA)
- Southampton (A*AA)
- Bristol (AAB)

All courses are G400 apart from Bath

At the moment Bath is the university that I think has the most potential. I got an offer for Computer Science and AI with a year in the industry/studying abroad. I like the idea of the course being focused on AI as that will be very sought after in the future, and the year in industry may be incredibly useful. The big downside to this university is that I have a lot of family in the city who I don't care to see. Of course I will be very busy so I'll have good excuses for why I can't see them often, but I will still need to show my face every now and them. Bath is also not a Russell group uni but I don't think that matters much.

Southampton I've heard a lot of good things about. I know they've had a lot of investment into their facilities and they have a good rep for computer science, I also really like the campus. Plenty of people say that the city is pretty awful though.

I managed to get a contextual offer for Bristol, so if it isn't my firm I will put it as my insurance. From what I've read Bristol falls behind Southampton a bit(?) in Computer Science although that info may be outdated. The one thing Bristol has over the other two is that it has the best name recognition, although I'm certainly not going to choose it for that alone.

That's about it. Would just like to hear how people think these Unis stack up against each other for computer science/in general.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending