The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Why would you mention Kant

Because of his whole 'ought implys can' thing. If we 'ought' to do right, then it follows that we can do it and therefore we must be free to do it rather than determined. Yeah I mentioned Kant a bit c.h.r.i.s.s.y, but only a paragraph really...
amberstrudel
Because of his whole 'ought implys can' thing. If we 'ought' to do right, then it follows that we can do it and therefore we must be free to do it rather than determined. Yeah I mentioned Kant a bit c.h.r.i.s.s.y, but only a paragraph really...

Oh yeah remember now. Yes he did talk a little on free will when he put forward his ethical theory. By the way it is chrisateen :wink: guess my real name :wink:
i chose sex& virtue ethics q.. hope i got a in that.. the concience q was ok.. rest were hard scripture as revelation and mind body i think.. mind kinda was blank.. dduunnnoo :s-smilie: xXx
Reply 43
I really liked the exam questions! For philosophy i did scripture which i remember well i think hehe and the body and soul question which i was also pleased with :smile:
As for ethics i thought again it was really good and did the freewill question and then the conscience one...i know i mixed butler and newman up but my teacher said as i got the theory right and only put the wrong name it should be alright. So fingers crossed (yn)
Now the synoptic :angry: I hate it! Im sooo stuck and dont think i know anything...if anyone has any help to give i would be very greatful, espesically as im suffering from tonsilitus and feeling really ill! :frown: xxx
ellie_1989
I really liked the exam questions! For philosophy i did scripture which i remember well i think hehe and the body and soul question which i was also pleased with :smile:
As for ethics i thought again it was really good and did the freewill question and then the conscience one...i know i mixed butler and newman up but my teacher said as i got the theory right and only put the wrong name it should be alright. So fingers crossed (yn)
Now the synoptic :angry: I hate it! Im sooo stuck and dont think i know anything...if anyone has any help to give i would be very greatful, espesically as im suffering from tonsilitus and feeling really ill! :frown: xxx

aw ;console; what areas are your struggling with ?
Reply 45
I'm also struggling with the synoptic, as our RS teacher spent 2 hours teaching us how to answer a question, out of the whole year.
I have NO idea how to even approach it- I know I have to try and work out which parts of the syllabus they're looking for me to answer it with but I have no idea how much is just regurgitating philosophers views and how much is linking them and if i need to think of my own structure and even my own arguments? Good God I'm nervous!

Is anyone out there also Route D, Philosophy of Religion & Developments in Christian thought? It sucks!
Reply 46
Chrisateen
aw ;console; what areas are your struggling with ?

Basically everything! :frown: I dont know exactly what has to be put into each question topic for example what info you need for: The relation between Moral Behaviour and Life after Death?

If you could give me a run down of the 6 types of questions n what stuff to put in them n i think id b much better off? Thanks xxx
Reply 47
i have had continuous exams pretty much so far so i haven't had much time to revise for synoptic. -- Just starting 'Freewill and determinism and the nature of God' . We have had basically no help from the teacher, my revision guide says jack all and the last time i did determinism was AS. i am screwed.
I don't know if it is any help/reassurance to you guys to know that you can argue anything really for the synoptic. Seriously, as long as you link it to the question and discuss relevent stuff then you can take any slant on it you want...
Reply 49
i have put up some notes on one of the other threads, that i have found. The thread is something like OCR Synoptic A,AX,AY
Reply 50
you know with the psych ans socio part for the symoptic, what do you link it with? like im struggling to see how its synoptic, it just seems to be phiolosophy to me.
Reply 51
zizi90
you know with the psych ans socio part for the symoptic, what do you link it with? like im struggling to see how its synoptic, it just seems to be phiolosophy to me.

...it is the implications to ethics of socio and psycho.
Reply 52
Agh connections paper on Monday! Anyone doing route N?..I doubt it no one ever is.. I have no idea how to relate anything to Judaism! - I can only talk about it seperatley if that makes sense..
Reply 53
JayneDoe
Agh connections paper on Monday! Anyone doing route N?..I doubt it no one ever is.. I have no idea how to relate anything to Judaism! - I can only talk about it seperatley if that makes sense..

Is it route N?
I'm doing philosophy and Judaism? Is that the same as you?
I didn't revise religious language and i don't have time to do it now (also hav Psych Synoptic on Monday). also at AS my teacher skipped Socio and Psych modules so now i only have 4/6 topics that i can write on. Just looked at a past paper and both Socia/Psych and Rel lang and Ethical Lang came up, and i realised if i had sat that paper i wouldn't have been able to answer it at all. Does anyone sort of have an inkling if maybe they may do this again this yr???? (i knw you can't really predict questions but an educated guess or anything your teachers might have said might help) cheers!!!!! :smile:
Reply 55
rachd_22
Is it route N?
I'm doing philosophy and Judaism? Is that the same as you?

Ooh very close - I'm doing ethics and Judaism - I've never met anyone who does Judaism as part if their religious Studies course! Did you do Philosophy 2 and Judaism 2 last friday or a diff combination?
Misanthropist
I didn't revise religious language and i don't have time to do it now (also hav Psych Synoptic on Monday). also at AS my teacher skipped Socio and Psych modules so now i only have 4/6 topics that i can write on. Just looked at a past paper and both Socia/Psych and Rel lang and Ethical Lang came up, and i realised if i had sat that paper i wouldn't have been able to answer it at all. Does anyone sort of have an inkling if maybe they may do this again this yr???? (i knw you can't really predict questions but an educated guess or anything your teachers might have said might help) cheers!!!!! :smile:

I don't think they will both come up, don't worry. I know nothing at all about religious language. I think the important things to think about are moral behaviour in relation to life after death, free will & determinism in relation to an omniscient God and the conscience or sense of moral responsibility as possible evidence for the existence of God. So I've been told, anyway. Obviously, it's good to know about sociology/psychology if you can because it's the sort of thing you can thread into your answer... as others have said, anything goes in this exam so long as it's relevant to the question...but don't panic if you don't know it so well.
Reply 57
JayneDoe
Ooh very close - I'm doing ethics and Judaism - I've never met anyone who does Judaism as part if their religious Studies course! Did you do Philosophy 2 and Judaism 2 last friday or a diff combination?

Yep i did Philosophy 2 and Judaism 2.
What Judaism questions did you answer?
Reply 58
rachd_22
Yep i did Philosophy 2 and Judaism 2.
What Judaism questions did you answer?

I did the one on the Holocaust - which I thought was a bad question..well I was used to focusing purely on the theological responce
and the one on the Messiah.. I should have done land of Israel but it was too late to change so I just rambled on as best I could no quotes :frown: How did you find it?
Ethics which is worse for me usually went ok suprisingly!
It's all over. Thank god. Synoptic wasn't that bad either, I did qs 1&2 on conscience, and on life after death ^__^

Latest

Trending

Trending