The Student Room Group

A week to go. Panicking.

It's a week until GCSEs and because I'm a pleb, I haven't started revising yet. Everytime I set myself up to revise, I panic, feel overwhelmed and bail. What do I do? Just constantly feeling stressed and like I've left it too late (which I have). Anyone going through the same thing? I'm predicted all 8's so everyone keeps telling me I'll be fine anyway, but I just feel like I'm drowning.
Reply 1
Same here except the stress has dropped my grades, in my mock i got a level 2 for english literature (i really can't deal with literature) and i have no idea where to turn, also have lost motivation to do anything
Reply 2
High key same. Not to say I've done nothing but I'm predicted all 8s/9s and when I compare the revision I've done to them and literally how much revision I do in a week to everyone, even in the lower sets it's atrocious. As much as I say I don't I do care about these grades cause I know if I wasn't such a **** with revision I probably could've smashed my GCSEs easily. Honestly, I'm just so arrogant I'm still pretty sure if I stepped up I could still do it but I've got zEro motivation, and English lit is stressing me out cause I don't know how to revise for it.

Honestly I feel like it does help when you find out someone is in the same situation as you so :smile:. Dude - you can still do this. We can do this! Look at a calendar now and just think about next week, and how you're going to space out revision. If anything - load yourself up on past papers, the style of question is always the same and if anything, exam technique > actual knowledge cause you'll know what the examiners are looking for. You only need 65-70% to get the grades you want.

You've got this!
I have been revising for a few months but my motivation has crashed and burned recently and I can't force myself to keep going, so I feel your pain.

However! My biggest advice is to attempt a past paper for your worst subject under exam conditions and see genuinely how you do. Either you'll do well and then you won't need to worry as much and you'll gain confidence, or doing badly in it might be the kick you need to motivate yourself? Just a suggestion but its what worked for me in the past (I should probably start doing it again lol)
Hey stop panicking! You have time left so make sure you use it effectively. Today I think you should spend around 10mins of planning EXACTLY what you are going to do this week in terms of revision. Note down your weaker areas and topics and add in 30mins or 1hr slots depending on how much work they need. And then starting from tomorrow make sure you stick to the timetable and do everything on there and that leaves the weekend for you to do an over view and summary of revision and maybe do some past papers? You can do it! Good luck!
Thankfully l did my English lit in yr10 so that’s one less to worry about. I was predicted 8’s and getting 9’s in my mocks but when it came to the real thing I got a 6 (3 marks off a 7 - fuming😂) so I’m scared that now I’ll end up getting rubbish grades on everything else.
Original post by maysiez
Same here except the stress has dropped my grades, in my mock i got a level 2 for english literature (i really can't deal with literature) and i have no idea where to turn, also have lost motivation to do anything
Thank you so much! I will try and do this. The only thing I’ve been struggling with about a revision timetable is that I’m still getting homework from my school subjects and by the time I’ve finished that, I feel drained and more often than not have a headache.
Original post by Bluepanda1234
Hey stop panicking! You have time left so make sure you use it effectively. Today I think you should spend around 10mins of planning EXACTLY what you are going to do this week in terms of revision. Note down your weaker areas and topics and add in 30mins or 1hr slots depending on how much work they need. And then starting from tomorrow make sure you stick to the timetable and do everything on there and that leaves the weekend for you to do an over view and summary of revision and maybe do some past papers? You can do it! Good luck!
Thank you so much, I’ll try that. Just feeling ridiculously unmotivated.
Original post by lucaswong
I have been revising for a few months but my motivation has crashed and burned recently and I can't force myself to keep going, so I feel your pain.

However! My biggest advice is to attempt a past paper for your worst subject under exam conditions and see genuinely how you do. Either you'll do well and then you won't need to worry as much and you'll gain confidence, or doing badly in it might be the kick you need to motivate yourself? Just a suggestion but its what worked for me in the past (I should probably start doing it again lol)
Thank you! I’m so glad I’m not the only one x
Original post by EmRep13
High key same. Not to say I've done nothing but I'm predicted all 8s/9s and when I compare the revision I've done to them and literally how much revision I do in a week to everyone, even in the lower sets it's atrocious. As much as I say I don't I do care about these grades cause I know if I wasn't such a **** with revision I probably could've smashed my GCSEs easily. Honestly, I'm just so arrogant I'm still pretty sure if I stepped up I could still do it but I've got zEro motivation, and English lit is stressing me out cause I don't know how to revise for it.

Honestly I feel like it does help when you find out someone is in the same situation as you so :smile:. Dude - you can still do this. We can do this! Look at a calendar now and just think about next week, and how you're going to space out revision. If anything - load yourself up on past papers, the style of question is always the same and if anything, exam technique > actual knowledge cause you'll know what the examiners are looking for. You only need 65-70% to get the grades you want.

You've got this!
hey, I did my gcses last year and was in the exact same position as yourself.i ended up doing no revision and consequently my grades which should've been 7s and 8s from mocks turned into 4s and 5s, although it hasnt affected my place at sixth form it did mean i had to compromise on some of the subjects i was interested in pursuing a career in. my biggest piece of advice i could offer anyone is even though there may be under a week left you better cram that revision in! these tests are a lot more important than you friends let on and i can guarantee teachers will be less lenient than you think!that being said, good luck! if you have any questions or worries feel free to DM me on instagram @franky.mz :smile:x
(edited 4 years ago)
Stop talking on TSR and revise right now :eek:

Quick Reply

Latest