The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Resits, holidays, changing courses panic

Hi. Currently studying at York. I have a 3 week holiday booked and paid for. I'm going to see a relative who doesn't have long left to live, so its an important holiday for me. However, I have to resit my maths and get 60% to change course to what I want to do (computer science) since my A level maths result wasn't good enough. The resit period is bang in the middle of the holiday. Everything has already been paid for by my boyfriends family. I've asked if I can change resit date and they say no I cant. So my only options is to either take a 16 hour £1000 flight back 1 week into the holiday to resit, not go on holiday at all and resit, or go on holiday and change courses. I'm not even confident I'll get 60% on the exam. I'm panicking and don't know what to do. If I had to change course I'd go for interactive media but my mum slammed me and said that wont land me a good job and will be a waste of all my efforts to get to uni, and that by not trying to get into computer science with the resits i'll be a disappointment basically. I have no idea what to do if someone could help link me to resources or give me direction that would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi. Currently studying at York. I have a 3 week holiday booked and paid for. I'm going to see a relative who doesn't have long left to live, so its an important holiday for me. However, I have to resit my maths and get 60% to change course to what I want to do (computer science) since my A level maths result wasn't good enough. The resit period is bang in the middle of the holiday. Everything has already been paid for by my boyfriends family. I've asked if I can change resit date and they say no I cant. So my only options is to either take a 16 hour £1000 flight back 1 week into the holiday to resit, not go on holiday at all and resit, or go on holiday and change courses. I'm not even confident I'll get 60% on the exam. I'm panicking and don't know what to do. If I had to change course I'd go for interactive media but my mum slammed me and said that wont land me a good job and will be a waste of all my efforts to get to uni, and that by not trying to get into computer science with the resits i'll be a disappointment basically. I have no idea what to do if someone could help link me to resources or give me direction that would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

I'm really sorry to hear that you're in a difficult situation with your relative and your upcoming resit.

I think the best thing to do would be to contact our student hub at [email protected] or call the team on +44 (0)1904 324140. They will be able to offer you the most relevant advice and assistance for your situation. You could also try talking to your academic supervisor if you haven't done so already, as they will know about the options available in exceptional circumstances.

I hope this helps!

Hazel :smile:
University of York
York

Quick Reply

Latest