The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ive had all my offers back now, unsuccessful from UCL however. they didnt even interview me, and left it 3 and a half months to tell me id been unsuccessful.
Just received my conditional offer from York today (AAB) very late, but I'm still pleased!! :-)
charmingp
Hey whiteredrose, how come durham only asked you for AAB, i thought the typical offer was 3a's.

I know, so did I! I don't know - I just had the usual letter from UCAS and one from the head of dept. saying Grey College was pleased to offer me a place etc...is it a good thing? I hope so! It was a nice surprise though, as I can now put it as my insurance choice once I stop dithering and being indecisive and finally pick my firm choice. (It's between York and Cambridge now!) Did you get an offer for History from Durham too then?
Trier
Unconditional offer from York for V100 on the 10th of November :smile:
Post A-level as before
oh, and sorry Pegasus, yes, my UCL offer was for V100

Wow, unconditional from York? Impressive, congrats! :smile:
Didnt get an offer - instead a rejection from bristol for v100, oh ho hum, i wonder why???

Guess my firm will be oxford and my insurance royal holloway, ppl agree?
Reply 125
I've had all my replies back now:
Bristol AAB
Cardiff ABB
Nottingham AAB
Southampton BBB/ABC
York AAB (A in Hist)
Durham: Big fat rejection. hehe.

So now, I can't decide between Bristol and York. I've been to york and absoutely LOVED it, and the history course is amazing. Haven't been to bristol yet..going on the 2nd March (anyone else going?). Anyone got any advice on which i should choose?
Reply 126
Doolally
Bristol AAB

:confused: That's so weird, I've got all my replies back now - Big fat rejection...from Bristol, and yet an offer from Durham!?! Oh well, I think it just shows how arbitary a lot of their decisions are - you win some you lose some it seems!
Reply 127
AlRP
:confused: That's so weird, I've got all my replies back now - Big fat rejection...from Bristol, and yet an offer from Durham!?! Oh well, I think it just shows how arbitary a lot of their decisions are - you win some you lose some it seems!

Yeah, it does seem weird doesn't it?! I think Historys turned into a bit of a lottery. Oh well, 5 out of 6 really isn't bad! I think we both should be extremely pleased with oursleves hehe :smile:
Have you decided on your firm/insurance yet?
AlRP

Ditto, got a big fat rejection from Bristol but offers from places like Oxford, Durham and Warwick. Oh well, guess Ox will be my first choice
Reply 129
_mad_moo_
Ditto, got a big fat rejection from Bristol but offers from places like Oxford, Durham and Warwick. Oh well, guess Ox will be my first choice

I rang the admissions office for some sort of explanation and was told to email the senior admissions tutor. This is what she said:
"Thank you for your email. I am sorry we have had to disappoint you. Unfortunately competition for places at Bristol to study History is extremely fierce and getting more intense with every year. This year we received over 2000 applications for just 60 places, making us one of the most sought after History degree programmes in the country. As Senior Admissions Tutor I therefore turned down upwards of 88% of those who applied. The vast majority of these were clearly very able students; most with top A-level grades predictions. We take a holistic view of each form - valuing excellent academic grades along with an assessment of the personal statement and the reference. Only after taking all these things into account do we reach our final decision. Inevitably, given the numbers who apply, we are forced to make a lot of hard decisions and to reject many fine candidates. We are, however, only able to make offers to a tiny minority who rank at the very top of the group. I would like to take the opportunity to assure you that we take this process very seriously - hence the time we take to reach our decisions. Each UCAS form is read at least twice, and many a third time, by academic members of staff. "
Bit more general than I'd hoped.
If you got a History offer from Bristol (Doolally :wink: ), with 33 applicants per place (yep, I did the sums) I bow down to you!
Oh well, wouldn't have been able to do anything with the Bristol anyways. But ditto, i bow down to you Doolally as well. Just out of interest, may i ask what AS level grades you got? was it like 8As or sumthing amazing like that :smile: I got AAAB so i guess that kinda weakened my application (the bloody english dept at my school made me do two mods of my as early at same time as gcse which weakened my grade :mad: )
Doolally
Bristol AAB
Cardiff ABB
Nottingham AAB
Southampton BBB/ABC
York AAB (A in Hist)

So now, I can't decide between Bristol and York. I've been to york and absoutely LOVED it, and the history course is amazing. Haven't been to bristol yet..going on the 2nd March (anyone else going?). Anyone got any advice on which i should choose?

It has to be York! :smile: I think the V100 course looks fab. *muses* but then again I don't know about Bristol's course! (So sorry, a little one-sided there lol) &, btw, well done on getting an offer from Bristol with the 33 applicants per place competition! Have you accepted one yet? I haven't, I'm still deliberating over the top 3 on my list...I'm so indecisive it's scary! :confused: :frown:
Reply 132
AlRP

If you got a History offer from Bristol (Doolally :wink: ), with 33 applicants per place (yep, I did the sums) I bow down to you!

Ooo your too kind Alex! :wink: Well i'm going to have to bow down to you too for getting a Durham offer! hehe. Have you decided its definately your firm yet? Keep me updated :p:

_mad_moo_
Oh well, wouldn't have been able to do anything with the Bristol anyways. But ditto, i bow down to you Doolally as well. Just out of interest, may i ask what AS level grades you got? was it like 8As or sumthing amazing like that I got AAAB so i guess that kinda weakened my application (the bloody english dept at my school made me do two mods of my as early at same time as gcse which weakened my grade )

And another bow to you too! You've got some AMAZING offers - well done :smile: And thank you too :biggrin:
Lol no 8As for me either...the same as you AAAB. Maybe I shouldnt have got an offer at all?! I worked loads on my PS, maybe thats what swung it?! Hmm I dunno, I'm thinking its a fluke!

White_redrose

It has to be York! I think the V100 course looks fab. *muses* but then again I don't know about Bristol's course! (So sorry, a little one-sided there lol) &, btw, well done on getting an offer from Bristol with the 33 applicants per place competition! Have you accepted one yet? I haven't, I'm still deliberating over the top 3 on my list...I'm so indecisive it's scary!

Awwh thanks aswell! History people are so lovely, hehe. Nope, no closer to making a decision. I need to visit Bristol really. But drove into York on monday/tuesday to pick my brother up and drop him from a funeral, and fell in love with it again. I can see just so see myslef wondering around york as a student - sounds silly I know! And yeah yorks hist course really does rock!
Good luck with your very tough choice..and a hugggeee well done on your brilliant offers! You must be one rockin' historian, haha. Let me know what you decide :smile:
Reply 133
I'm going to do Ancient History at BIRMINGHAM is ne1 else
My offers are (for History and Politics Joint Honours)

Manchester: AAB
Newcastle: ABB
Liverpool: ABB
Glasgow: BBB

I got rejected from Durham and Edinburgh :frown:

Manchester is my first choice.
Reply 135
Ive got an offer from Holloway (ABB) to do V100...I guess I'm quite pleased but I got rejected from my other 5 :frown: (Warwick, Durham, St Andrews, UCL, KCL) which was really pissy ! Not too sure what I did wrong, got 4 estimated A's and a Dist in AEA, maybe its because I'm on a gap year after leaving UCAS last year.

Still, Nil desperandum! :rolleyes:

Would love to know how the admission tutors make up their minds!
Reply 136
Offers for history from Exeter,S'hampton,Manchester and Royal Holloway( and no offence to anyone going there but RH was the most boring uni iv ever been to!!).
My firm choice is Exeter and S'hampton as my insurance but Exeter is AAA which seems bit high specially because my friend is doing medicine and only needs AAB hmmmm!!
Reply 137
hey well done 2 everyobdy 4 ur offers : ) firm = SSEES at UCL (doing V101, wots the difference between this and V100??) = BBB after UCL rejected me they sent me onto SSEES (school of slavonic n east european studies, 1st id ever heard of it but its at UCL n it seems great so m really chuffed) insurance = westminister = CCC which im kidn of regretting bcos from wot ive heard and seen its not that a great place, even current student are really advising me not to go here, a bit worrying if i dont get the grades 4 UCL : /
Unconditional V100 from York and Exeter, V130 from St Andrews (Insurance)
Conditional (two 4s on my APs) for V100 Durham (Castle) :biggrin: Hope to see all Durham people there next year!
I applied for my masters in history, and was offered places at:

Nottingham
Sheffield
King's College.

I was also offered a place in War Studies at King's College...so I'm in quite the predicament. I feel I'll have a better chance at employment with a degree in War Studies, but History is where my heart is.

Latest

Trending

Trending