The Student Room Group

Warwick Vs Bristol Vs Manchester for BSC Economics

Hey Y'all,

I am an international student from India. I have offers from University of Bristol, University of Manchester and University of Warwick for BSC Economics. I don't have much opportunity to visit offer holder days or open days to interact with the department or the college.

So Could someone tell me which university should I choose? I am looking at course material, accommodation and placement as criteria.

Thank you for your response
I’d say Warwick > Bristol > Manchester for economics. Warwick economics is definitely the most prestigious and is consistently top 4 in the uk
For accomodation, I’m not sure about the others but I know warwick accomodation is good and cheap (much cheaper than London, for example)
But make sure you like the idea of a campus uni, cuz it’s quite remote which not everyone likes!
Reply 2
Thank you so much for your reply.

But however, I have heard that employers prefer Manchester and Bristol graduates over Warwick. Is it true?

Original post by JD2468
I’d say Warwick > Bristol > Manchester for economics. Warwick economics is definitely the most prestigious and is consistently top 4 in the uk
For accomodation, I’m not sure about the others but I know warwick accomodation is good and cheap (much cheaper than London, for example)
But make sure you like the idea of a campus uni, cuz it’s quite remote which not everyone likes!
Original post by Mila Suresh
Thank you so much for your reply.

But however, I have heard that employers prefer Manchester and Bristol graduates over Warwick. Is it true?

Hmm, I’m not sure where you heard that from but, as far as I know, it’s the complete opposite, especially for economics graduates. UK employers (e.g. investment banks) have a list of UK universities that they directly visit/recruit from. These 'targets' are Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick and UCL. Bristol and Manchester are considered 'semi-targets’. I don’t really like the 'target/semi-target' mentality because there are much more important factors than your university for career prospects, but Warwick is definitely looked upon more highly than Bristol and Manchester. Maybe not for a few subjects, but for anything related to maths, economics and finance, 100%.
Hope this helps!
Reply 4
Thank you very much!
Original post by JD2468
Hmm, I’m not sure where you heard that from but, as far as I know, it’s the complete opposite, especially for economics graduates. UK employers (e.g. investment banks) have a list of UK universities that they directly visit/recruit from. These 'targets' are Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick and UCL. Bristol and Manchester are considered 'semi-targets’. I don’t really like the 'target/semi-target' mentality because there are much more important factors than your university for career prospects, but Warwick is definitely looked upon more highly than Bristol and Manchester. Maybe not for a few subjects, but for anything related to maths, economics and finance, 100%.
Hope this helps!
Reply 5
If the career you're looking to go into has high threshold for prestige of the university you attend, then definitely Warwick. Its one of the university's that investment banks target (if you're inclined to pursue a finance related job) and its ranked third for economics in the uk, however I do know Manchester in general is ranked higher internationally I don't know why. Accommodation in Manchester I've only seen 3, the cheapest whitworth park (£105pw) and oakhouse (£95pw) are both dumps in terms of living conditions, small rooms and no ensuite they're also polar opposites in terms of social life, oakhouse is kind of where you go if you want to party and whitworth is more quiet and great location as its walking distance from the univeristy wheras places in fallowfield you'd have to take a 10-15min bus. Denmark road (£150pw) is next to whitworth and is the most expensive and for good reason its the most visually appealing and has an ensuite, but i've found how well you enjoy your accommodation is more based on if you make good friends. One of my flat mates studies economics at Manchester and he says if you're good at maths you'd breeze through the course. On the website the entry requirements are AAB whilst at warwick its A*AA I know you don't do a levels but to me those requirements give you a rough idea on how difficult the course is at each respective uni.
Hey Y'all,

I am an international student from India. I have offers from University of Bristol, University of Manchester and University of Warwick for BSC Economics. I don't have much opportunity to visit offer holder days or open days to interact with the department or the college.

So Could someone tell me which university should I choose? I am looking at course material, accommodation and placement as criteria.

Reply 6
Thank You for your reply. When I received an offer for Economics from Warwick, they really emphasized on Maths and expected above 90% for all my subjects. And I have always had comments on behalf on Warwick. It's nice to have a perspective from Manchester.
Original post by 0023
If the career you're looking to go into has high threshold for prestige of the university you attend, then definitely Warwick. Its one of the university's that investment banks target (if you're inclined to pursue a finance related job) and its ranked third for economics in the uk, however I do know Manchester in general is ranked higher internationally I don't know why. Accommodation in Manchester I've only seen 3, the cheapest whitworth park (£105pw) and oakhouse (£95pw) are both dumps in terms of living conditions, small rooms and no ensuite they're also polar opposites in terms of social life, oakhouse is kind of where you go if you want to party and whitworth is more quiet and great location as its walking distance from the univeristy wheras places in fallowfield you'd have to take a 10-15min bus. Denmark road (£150pw) is next to whitworth and is the most expensive and for good reason its the most visually appealing and has an ensuite, but i've found how well you enjoy your accommodation is more based on if you make good friends. One of my flat mates studies economics at Manchester and he says if you're good at maths you'd breeze through the course. On the website the entry requirements are AAB whilst at warwick its A*AA I know you don't do a levels but to me those requirements give you a rough idea on how difficult the course is at each respective uni.
If you're hoping to work in the UK, then maybe Warwick will be the best choice in terms of reputation and quality of Economics course. But, if you're hoping to work overseas after your degree, then maybe Manchester as it seems to have an incredibly potent international brand. :fluffy:

They're all fantastic universities, by the way. Any would be a good option! That said, Economics at Warwick is very impressive!
Hey Y'all,

I’m an Indian student too! And wish to pursue a degree in economics as well, can I know which subjects you’ve taken for A-level?
Reply 9
Heyy I’ll be joining Warwick this year for economics, wby have u made up your mind? Ps. I’m going from India too
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending