The Student Room Group

AQA A Level Physics Paper 1 UNOFFICIAL MARK SCHEME (20th May 2019)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anonymousxxxxyy
some of them are wrong
the one about acceleration the working out is incorrect as time is in milli seconds
so you have to convert it into seconds
so the answer would be 4.1 x10^4

The multiple choice about increasing resistance is also wrong
Updated link with corrections.
I think I’ve lost 20/25 marks in this paper... ordinarily that’s good but considering everyone seems to have done well do you think the grade boundaries will be really high???
How did people in you're school or college find it?
What mark do you think you got?
Original post by oly1357
You reckon these will be the grade boundaries? They seem quite high relative to the last few years exam papers
Original post by Ckweekes
I think I’ve lost 20/25 marks in this paper... ordinarily that’s good but considering everyone seems to have done well do you think the grade boundaries will be really high???

Last year you could drop 23 marks n still get an A* so grade boundaries will most likely be similar to that. Twitter was freaking out about the paper so I think most of the country struggled so you'll be fine.
People thought it was an odd paper since massive topics like quantum phenomena and standing waves were left out. Most people found it fine tho. I think I got about 78/85 minus some for poor communication.
Original post by Hello1212122434
How did people in you're school or college find it?
What mark do you think you got?
Thank you mate! Is “ray perpendicular to the surface of the prism” would be the right thing to write? Because that is what I wrote, because everyone wrote that it is normal to the line.
Means the same thing.
Original post by Agzamkrut
Thank you mate! Is “ray perpendicular to the surface of the prism” would be the right thing to write? Because that is what I wrote, because everyone wrote that it is normal to the line.
Thicker diameter in one of the wires = greater cross sectional area, resistivity = RA/L so surely the resistivity will be greater for the thicker wire? It can't be the same for wires of different diameters

Original post by bruffsupporter
Quantities the same in both wires - resistivity and current (B)
Original post by zaid39401
Thicker diameter in one of the wires = greater cross sectional area, resistivity = RA/L so surely the resistivity will be greater for the thicker wire? It can't be the same for wires of different diameters

Resistivity is the same for a fixed material as it's a bulk property. (And they're made of the same material)
(edited 4 years ago)
Resistance of the two cylinders is also different tho so that's why resistivity is constant.
Original post by zaid39401
Resistivity is the material's property, resistance is the reaction (that's probably not the word to describe it but I couldn't think of anything else)
Original post by CianBlake
Resistance of the two cylinders is also different tho so that's why resistivity is constant.
Could you have talked about beta minus being a weak interaction and it having the exchange particle of a W boson, while for the internal one whatever it was called is electromagnetic so you have a photon as the exchange particle
Another few points for the internal conversion question may be:

1. The constituent nucleons of the nucleus (i.e. the proton and neutron numbers) do not change in internal conversion.
2. The emitted electron in internal conversion is not referred to as a beta(-minus) particle as it is not the product of beta-decay.
3. For internal conversion, the energy of the emitted electron follows a discrete energy spectrum (energy of electrons can from internal conversion can only be certain values) but beta-particles follow a continuous energy distribution.

or the converse of each statement
Original post by Duck3E
Could you have talked about beta minus being a weak interaction and it having the exchange particle of a W boson, while for the internal one whatever it was called is electromagnetic so you have a photon as the exchange particle

that's what I said
Just wondering as I did get the first two, but for 3 I said that eventually, internal conversion will result in an orbiting electron falling back down an energy level to replace that which was liberated, releasing a photon of energy equal to that of the energy level change. Whereas Beta Minus would not result in photon emission.
Original post by douglas.morgan
Another few points for the internal conversion question may be:

1. The constituent nucleons of the nucleus (i.e. the proton and neutron numbers) do not change in internal conversion.
2. The emitted electron in internal conversion is not referred to as a beta(-minus) particle as it is not the product of beta-decay.
3. For internal conversion, the energy of the emitted electron follows a discrete energy spectrum (energy of electrons can from internal conversion can only be certain values) but beta-particles follow a continuous energy distribution.

or the converse of each statement
Original post by Duck3E

This is definitely a mark
orbiting electron was emitted in internal conversion
Original post by DontSweat
Just wondering as I did get the first two, but for 3 I said that eventually, internal conversion will result in an orbiting electron falling back down an energy level to replace that which was liberated, releasing a photon of energy equal to that of the energy level change. Whereas Beta Minus would not result in photon emission.
I think I dropped about 23-33 marks. I think the boundaries will be slightly higher than last year so what grade range does that put me in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending