The Student Room Group

Tips on becoming an accountant with a history degree

I intend to study history, but I have thought about becoming an accountant afterwards. I understand that with a history degree it is possible to go down this path, and as such would rather do a degree in history because I would enjoy it more. Is there anyone who did this who might be able to give some tips? One other thing is that I don't have an A level in maths, and also got a 6 in maths at GCSE, would this limit me in any way?
Reply 1
I have a history degree & I'm about to start my training contract with a firm. Got a B in GCSE maths & didn't study it at A-level. It's very possible. Do everything in your power to get a summer internship in your second year. Attend as many open days/insight events as possible so that the student recruitment team are familiar with you. Also, practice for the numerical reasoning tests.
Reply 2
As noted above aim at a summer internship in your second year. You should target building a CV from the time your A levels are finished. If you are sensible about it you'll pick up useful skills which are useful outside of accounting. Visit the careers center as soon as you start university as there are lots of events/ insight sessions etc which you don't always hear about otherwise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending