The Student Room Group

HELP! Confused on career pathways..

Hi guys,

It would be amazing if anyone could give me some clarity on these queries.
I'm in year 13 so have time to think about my future, but I've always been someone who likes to understand my possibilites.

I'm currently studying History, Politics and BTEC Sport at A Level and have gained all my offers for a Politics degree.
I'm unsure what I want to do in the future- I chose Politics as I have a natural interest and I believe it will open up my options.

My plan is... if i'm not happy with my career by the time I'm 26/27, to go into teaching as I know I would really enjoy it.
I'm just confused on what I could do with my Politics degree.

I'd preferably like to teach PE but I could teach Politics/citizenship also. However, I don't know if I would get a PE PGCE- I have experience playing for a national netball team, but only have BTEC Sport qualifications.

Another way, I wouldn't mind teaching History and Politics. I'm not sure If I would qualify for this either. I would prefer to do PE.

Please could anyone let me know, it is greatly appreciated!!
Thank you :smile:
Original post by le.bosh
Hi guys,

I'm in year 13 so have time to think about my future, but I've always been someone who likes to understand my possibilites.

I'm currently studying History, Politics and BTEC Sport at A Level and have gained all my offers for a Politics degree.
I'm unsure what I want to do in the future- I chose Politics as I have a natural interest and I believe it will open up my options.

My plan is... if i'm not happy with my career by the time I'm 26/27, to go into teaching as I know I would really enjoy it.

I'd preferably like to teach PE but I could teach Politics/citizenship also. However, I don't know if I would get a PE PGCE- I have experience playing for a national netball team, but only have BTEC Sport qualifications.

Another way, I wouldn't mind teaching History and Politics. I'm not sure If I would qualify for this either. I would prefer to do PE.

Politics isn't a degree that's required for any specific career, so you can more or less apply for jobs that ask for a degree in any subject or a career that didn't require a degree in the first place.

In terms of teaching, they say that you can teach any subject at secondary school level after a PGCE in any subject, so long you're competent in it e.g. I wouldn't say I would jump the chance to teach French if I never studied the language at GCSE, A Level, degree level, any random course, or even went to a French speaking country to immerse in the language. In other words, you should be able to teach Politics, History, or PE after a PGCE in any subject (you might want a second opinon from a secondary teacher though). Having said that, the requirement to do a PGCE in a particular subject tend to be a degree in any subject and then pass a competency test to say you know enough about the subject to do a PGCE in it i,e. you don't necessary need a degree in the subject to do the PGCE in it, even though it's ideal (do get a second opinion on this though). I, for example, know of teachers who only did PGCE in maths or biology, but teach PE as their second subject (teachers tend to teach 2 subjects at secondary schools).

In terms of careers that you can do with a degree in any subject include:

solicitor via SQE (although some say you need a PGDL if you didn't do an LLB for some reason)

any grad scheme (even though a number of these careers don't require degrees in the first place)

education

The random careers that you would be eligible for with no further training post A Levels include:

Administration

Government services

Social work

Some areas of healthcare

Most areas of business (HR, marketing, accounting, sales)

IT roles

Some areas of construction

Most areas of property

Most areas of beauty and wellbeing

Creative/design and media (if you're good)

Theatre and film (if you're good)

Music (if you're good)

Anything related to writing (if you're good)

Storage

Logisitics

Armed forces and police force (if you pass certain tests, have a clean record, and are of a certain age range)

Some environmental services

Hospitality

Manufacturing

Management (if you have the relevant experience)

Retail

Care work

Travel and tourism

Charity

Entertainment (if you're good)

Translation (if you are fluent in more than one language)

If you want to go and do an extra degree in a random subject, you can do conversion courses in:

economics

psychology (should be BPS accredited)

computer science

law (PGDL)

Masters' that you can apply with undergrads in any random subject include:

Computer science (some degrees)

Anything in business (except for finance) e.g. marketing, accounting. You cannot do a business management degree if you have done it at undergrad

Anthropology

Nursing

Property (not architecture or strutural engineering)

Some criminology degrees

Nonquantiative economics degrees

Some film degrees

Hospitality

Some media degrees

Some journalism degrees

Education

Linguistics

Social work

Some politics degrees (in your case all politics degree should you do it at undergrad)

Some agriculture degrees

Some fine art degrees

Occupational therapy

Counselling or psychotherapy

You can go into the following areas with specific professional qualifications (irrespective of what previous qualifications you have):

Accounting

Actuary (if you have a math background e.g. A Level Maths; which you unfortunately don't)

Law (CILEx for solicitor roles - you shouldn't need this since you would have a politics degree)

Most areas of finance

Delivery and transport (licences)

Sports coaching

From the above, I can see doing a Level 2 sports certificate in say Netball would be of some interest. Even if you don't end up teaching in schools, you can coach people playing netball at a netball club (or start one yourself).

So no, degrees in politics (or history for that matter) don't open that many doors compared to other disciplines. The fields where you should get a degree in order to go into the field tend to be roles in healthcare, social work, academia, education, engineering, economics, social research, architecture. Having said that though, you can get into a number of these fields through apprenticeships.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
Politics isn't a degree that's required for any specific career, so you can more or less apply for jobs that ask for a degree in any subject or a career that didn't require a degree in the first place.

In terms of teaching, they say that you can teach any subject at secondary school level after a PGCE in any subject, so long you're competent in it e.g. I wouldn't say I would jump the chance to teach French if I never studied the language at GCSE, A Level, degree level, any random course, or even went to a French speaking country to immerse in the language. In other words, you should be able to teach Politics, History, or PE after a PGCE in any subject (you might want a second opinon from a secondary teacher though). Having said that, the requirement to do a PGCE in a particular subject tend to be a degree in any subject and then pass a competency test to say you know enough about the subject to do a PGCE in it i,e. you don't necessary need a degree in the subject to do the PGCE in it, even though it's ideal (do get a second opinion on this though). I, for example, know of teachers who only did PGCE in maths or biology, but teach PE as their second subject (teachers tend to teach 2 subjects at secondary schools).

In terms of careers that you can do with a degree in any subject include:

solicitor via SQE (although some say you need a PGDL if you didn't do an LLB for some reason)

any grad scheme (even though a number of these careers don't require degrees in the first place)

education

The random careers that you would be eligible for with no further training post A Levels include:

Administration

Government services

Social work

Some areas of healthcare

Most areas of business (HR, marketing, accounting, sales)

IT roles

Some areas of construction

Most areas of property

Most areas of beauty and wellbeing

Creative/design and media (if you're good)

Theatre and film (if you're good)

Music (if you're good)

Anything related to writing (if you're good)

Storage

Logisitics

Armed forces and police force (if you pass certain tests, have a clean record, and are of a certain age range)

Some environmental services

Hospitality

Manufacturing

Management (if you have the relevant experience)

Retail

Care work

Travel and tourism

Charity

Entertainment (if you're good)

Translation (if you are fluent in more than one language)

If you want to go and do an extra degree in a random subject, you can do conversion courses in:

economics

psychology (should be BPS accredited)

computer science

law (PGDL)

Masters' that you can apply with undergrads in any random subject include:

Computer science (some degrees)

Anything in business (except for finance) e.g. marketing, accounting. You cannot do a business management degree if you have done it at undergrad

Anthropology

Nursing

Property (not architecture or strutural engineering)

Some criminology degrees

Nonquantiative economics degrees

Some film degrees

Hospitality

Some media degrees

Some journalism degrees

Education

Linguistics

Social work

Some politics degrees (in your case all politics degree should you do it at undergrad)

Some agriculture degrees

Some fine art degrees

Occupational therapy

Counselling or psychotherapy

You can go into the following areas with specific professional qualifications (irrespective of what previous qualifications you have):

Accounting

Actuary (if you have a math background e.g. A Level Maths; which you unfortunately don't)

Law (CILEx for solicitor roles - you shouldn't need this since you would have a politics degree)

Most areas of finance

Delivery and transport (licences)

Sports coaching

From the above, I can see doing a Level 2 sports certificate in say Netball would be of some interest. Even if you don't end up teaching in schools, you can coach people playing netball at a netball club (or start one yourself).

So no, degrees in politics (or history for that matter) don't open that many doors compared to other disciplines. The fields where you should get a degree in order to go into the field tend to be roles in healthcare, social work, academia, education, engineering, economics, social research, architecture. Having said that though, you can get into a number of these fields through apprenticeships.

Incredibly helpful- thank you so much!!!
Original post by le.bosh
Hi guys,

Hello @le.bosh

The qualifications that you MUST have to be considered a qualified teacher in the UK, is to be awarded with QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) Once you've completed a teacher training course, and awarded with QTS (and possibly a PGCE too) then you are able to teach in any school, to any age and cover any subject. However, for the purpose of training, you would need to select a subject area, and one you have relevant qualifications for. This is usually from your degree, but A-Levels count too.

The challenge in applying for and completing a teacher training course in politics, is that you begin to limit your employment opportunities. (ie school often, if at all, only offer politics classes at A-Level stage) Therefore, something that is part of the National Curriculum is a better opportunity. (ie History or PE)

Having some relevant experience to working with or teaching young people can help a great deal. If you have a broad experience of different schools, this can help you to choose the phase or the subject to teach, and the kind of school that feels comfortable for you to work in too.

Once you begin your degree, you become eligible to a Get into Teaching adviser, who you can register for here. We'd be able to help you to explore a teaching career and see if it is a suitable option for you - or not!

Wishing you all the best! Jane 🙂
Reply 4
Original post by Get into Teaching
Hello @le.bosh

The qualifications that you MUST have to be considered a qualified teacher in the UK, is to be awarded with QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) Once you've completed a teacher training course, and awarded with QTS (and possibly a PGCE too) then you are able to teach in any school, to any age and cover any subject. However, for the purpose of training, you would need to select a subject area, and one you have relevant qualifications for. This is usually from your degree, but A-Levels count too.

The challenge in applying for and completing a teacher training course in politics, is that you begin to limit your employment opportunities. (ie school often, if at all, only offer politics classes at A-Level stage) Therefore, something that is part of the National Curriculum is a better opportunity. (ie History or PE)

Having some relevant experience to working with or teaching young people can help a great deal. If you have a broad experience of different schools, this can help you to choose the phase or the subject to teach, and the kind of school that feels comfortable for you to work in too.

Once you begin your degree, you become eligible to a Get into Teaching adviser, who you can register for here. We'd be able to help you to explore a teaching career and see if it is a suitable option for you - or not!

Wishing you all the best! Jane 🙂

Thank you!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending