The Student Room Group

Is Accounting and Finance Hard in University?

I want to know if Accounting and Finance is hard in university and i would love to hear anything that i should know about accounting and finance before picking this course for this year.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by Beariee
I want to know if Accounting and Finance is hard in university and i would love to hear anything that i should know about accounting and finance before picking this course for this year.

I personally have a bias against accounting and finance degrees, but I wil try to help where possible.

What's considered hard would depend on you as a person. If you're a mathematical person, you might find accounting and finance more difficult than say an accounting student. This is because you would need to think completely differently in order to understand and absorb the material. A lot of it doesn't actually involve problem solving as opposed to memorising steps and being able to form the sort of judgement people are looking for.

From personal experience, I have enountered people who did undergrads in chemistry, maths, and aerospace engineering, and they find the accounting and finance material more difficult.
On the other hand, I have come across people who didn't do STEM, but found the material relatively easy once they got their heads around it. Some people who manage to get through accounting include people who did degrees in history, geography, and languages.

The courses for accounting and finance do also vary in quantiative content, depending on the uni teaching it. Having said that, if you are looking to get exemptions for professional accounting qualifications (the qualifications you actually need to become a qualified accountant), a lot of the difficult quantitative content is unnecessary and aren't actually part of the qualifications. You can spot these degrees by looking at whether they require A Level Maths as part of their entry requirements. Those that do tend to have very mathematical finance modules.

It would also then depend on your preference for what sort of options that you want to do. All accounting and finance degrees, as far as I know, give you options for which modules to study. You can then pick the sort of options you prefer more than others.

If you want to know about the accounting graduate schemes, getting jobs in accounting, the types of professional accounting qualifications, or how the degree relates to the professional accounting qualifications, then you would need to be more specific with your question (I could write a several thousand word thesis on the subject, so let's not go there if we can help it).
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
I personally have a bias against accounting and finance degrees, but I wil try to help where possible.

What's considered hard would depend on you as a person. If you're a mathematical person, you might find accounting and finance more difficult than say an accounting student. This is because you would need to think completely differently in order to understand and absorb the material. A lot of it doesn't actually involve problem solving as opposed to memorising steps and being able to form the sort of judgement people are looking for.

From personal experience, I have enountered people who did undergrads in chemistry, maths, and aerospace engineering, and they find the accounting and finance material more difficult.
On the other hand, I have come across people who didn't do STEM, but found the material relatively easy once they got their heads around it. Some people who manage to get through accounting include people who did degrees in history, geography, and languages.

The courses for accounting and finance do also vary in quantiative content, depending on the uni teaching it. Having said that, if you are looking to get exemptions for professional accounting qualifications (the qualifications you actually need to become a qualified accountant), a lot of the difficult quantitative content is unnecessary and aren't actually part of the qualifications. You can spot these degrees by looking at whether they require A Level Maths as part of their entry requirements. Those that do tend to have very mathematical finance modules.

It would also then depend on your preference for what sort of options that you want to do. All accounting and finance degrees, as far as I know, give you options for which modules to study. You can then pick the sort of options you prefer more than others.

If you want to know about the accounting graduate schemes, getting jobs in accounting, the types of professional accounting qualifications, or how the degree relates to the professional accounting qualifications, then you would need to be more specific with your question (I could write a several thousand word thesis on the subject, so let's not go there if we can help it).

Thank you btw for answering my question everything was clear and understanding thank you.
Hi there, @Beariee

Your question has already been answered in depth, but I'd like to give my personal experience.

Despite having met people who say they find the course easy, I find it very hard. As mentioned by @MindMax2000, memorising is a big thing in some (the most important) modules. So, even though I think I'm quite good at problem-solving, I'm quite bad at memorising table structures, where each number goes, when to use a different formula for an otherwise seemingly identical question, etc.

My top tip would be to practise questions over and over and over again, until you can write things down with your eyes closed :tongue: It does require enormous amounts of discipline, but we can get there!

Hope this helps!

Marko
Accounting and Finance BSc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending