The Student Room Group

Discharge

I have noticed a few times at irregular intervals, staining in my knickers. It's not blood, and it does not smell. I spoke to my best friend about it. She said it was quite a common thing for ladies.
She said to combat that and I hope I have got this right, wear a panty liner? It will apparently stop the staining and keep you fresh. She has recommended that I wear them regularly. Is this right? Will it help?
You can wear them, but wearing them too often is bad for your body. It needs to have air to 'breathe'
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks for the advice.
Original post by SlightlySummer
You can wear them, but wearing them to often is bad for your body. It needs to have air to 'breathe'
don't wear them because your vagina needs to breathe and its a natural thing anyway
it's normal, you just wash your underwear and change it regularly

it will normally happen when you're ovulating (approx 2 weeks before your next period), but everyone's body is a bit different
Panty liners can help sometimes, but they can irritate your body if you keep wearing them. They absorb bacteria. Discharge shouldn't be that heavy/soaking usually so not sure you'd even need them unless it was straight after a period
Original post by Meale60
I have noticed a few times at irregular intervals, staining in my knickers. It's not blood, and it does not smell. I spoke to my best friend about it. She said it was quite a common thing for ladies.
She said to combat that and I hope I have got this right, wear a panty liner? It will apparently stop the staining and keep you fresh. She has recommended that I wear them regularly. Is this right? Will it help?
Reply 5
Thankyou.
Original post by angel.xo
don't wear them because your vagina needs to breathe and its a natural thing anyway
Reply 6
Thankyou for your advice.
Original post by leopard202
it's normal, you just wash your underwear and change it regularly

it will normally happen when you're ovulating (approx 2 weeks before your next period), but everyone's body is a bit different
Panty liners can help sometimes, but they can irritate your body if you keep wearing them. They absorb bacteria. Discharge shouldn't be that heavy/soaking usually so not sure you'd even need them unless it was straight after a period
Original post by Meale60

Perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. If you notice it does start smelling or you have any pain with it, then see your GP. You can wear a panty liner for those days if you're getting a lot of discharge, but really you shouldn't wear them very often. Just change your knickers daily and wash them regularly. You could also wash your vulva with unfragranced soap (don't wash your vagina) to help keep it clean as well. You can get specific soaps for that area too so you know they won't do any harm. However, warm water will also do the trick if you don't want to put soaps near that area.
Reply 8
Thankyou ever so much. You have put my mind at ease.
So many kind people.
Original post by DrawTheLine
Perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. If you notice it does start smelling or you have any pain with it, then see your GP. You can wear a panty liner for those days if you're getting a lot of discharge, but really you shouldn't wear them very often. Just change your knickers daily and wash them regularly. You could also wash your vulva with unfragranced soap (don't wash your vagina) to help keep it clean as well. You can get specific soaps for that area too so you know they won't do any harm. However, warm water will also do the trick if you don't want to put soaps near that area.
Original post by Meale60
Thankyou ever so much. You have put my mind at ease.
So many kind people.

No problem, that's why we're here! :h:

Quick Reply

Latest