The Student Room Group

Semi-target experience

From browsing through linkedin, it seems that every single person that gets a spring week/internship from a semi-target had some sort of pre-university work experience. As a student who has just finished his A-levels, with no summer work experience and has turned down targets for a semi target, aiming to follow a career in front office IB, should i be concerned? Would it be recommended that i switch to a target, through either a gap year or adjustment, since i dont have pre-university work experience or contacts in IB?
you should be fine as long as you get involved with the relevant societies at university. But if you were/are dead set on IB why did you not go to a target - makes your life way easier.
Originally chose the semi-target(Bristol), over targets( UCL, Warwick and LSE) due to lifestyle choices really. Being a londoner, i wanted to leave London and from speaking to past/current students i don't believe you get the typical "uni experience' at London unis. Also, visiting Warwick the place felt very gloomy in the middle of nowhere. Probably what ill do is reapply to targets next year, whilst at uni and if i don't get any spring weeks, ill drop out and start again at a target.
Original post by xtrembob
you should be fine as long as you get involved with the relevant societies at university. But if you were/are dead set on IB why did you not go to a target - makes your life way easier.
Original post by moneymanJPM
Originally chose the semi-target(Bristol), over targets( UCL, Warwick and LSE) due to lifestyle choices really. Being a londoner, i wanted to leave London and from speaking to past/current students i don't believe you get the typical "uni experience' at London unis. Also, visiting Warwick the place felt very gloomy in the middle of nowhere. Probably what ill do is reapply to targets next year, whilst at uni and if i don't get any spring weeks, ill drop out and start again at a target.

Expensive way of seeing things - you’ll possibly waste 9k but fairs. If a target is you insurance you could always ask Bristol to release you from UCAS so that you could go to your insurance choice iirc. Bristol is a good school, if you get into the finance/econ society you should have no trouble getting a spring week.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending