Toradale
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi! I just finished accepting my accommodation offer for UEA, and they supplied a lot of useful information. The only thing I don’t understand is the situation for smokers - it sounds like smoking is totally banned. For example at one point it said that “smoking paraphernalia” would be confiscated on sight. Is there anywhere on campus where one is allowed to have a cigarette?
Thanks in advance guys xx
Anonymous #1
Report 6 months ago
My advice would be to quit unless you love being short of breath and having massively increased lung cancer risk in the future.
requiemforcharli
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I’ve also just accepted my accommodation offer! You’re allowed to smoke on campus, it just can’t be inside so yeah bring your cigarettes it’s fine
(Original post by Toradale)
Hi! I just finished accepting my accommodation offer for UEA, and they supplied a lot of useful information. The only thing I don’t understand is the situation for smokers - it sounds like smoking is totally banned. For example at one point it said that “smoking paraphernalia” would be confiscated on sight. Is there anywhere on campus where one is allowed to have a cigarette?
Thanks in advance guys xx
Toradale
Rep:
?
Ok, great, thanks!
Toradale
Rep:
?
Wait, wdym?? Smoking causes lung cancer???????????? Holy ****
(Original post by Anonymous)
My advice would be to quit unless you love being short of breath and having massively increased lung cancer risk in the future.
Anonymous #1
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Toradale)
Wait, wdym?? Smoking causes lung cancer???????????? Holy ****
And yet you still choose to smoke. Very sensible.
MagnumKoishi
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Just stop smoking...
Even without all the health risks, it's a huge waste of money and looks very distasteful in public
agrew
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Jesus, you people have to chill, if OP wants to smoke so be it, it's his/her life and health.
yaire
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
i somewhat agree with this but it does also harm others (second hand smoking has been a huge problem for me)
(Original post by agrew)
Jesus, you people have to chill, if OP wants to smoke so be it, it's his/her life and health.
rimstone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by yaire)
i somewhat agree with this but it does also harm others (second hand smoking has been a huge problem for me)
second hand smoke barely affects anyone and is somewhat of a myth/overhyped; research has shown at best ( some come back with no significant coloration ), if you live with a heavy active smoker;i.e: partner and are in closed spaces with them, while they smoke; over years/decades, the passive smoke you inhale, just might affect you, to the level of a light active smoking ( i.e: health risks, such as cancer and heart problems ).

To OP, it ain't that bad, you can pretty much smoke anywhere you want tbh, my mate at UEA used to go to the roff top of his halls and smoker there, some people also smoked in their rooms. As an ex-smoker, defo think of quiting though, waste of money and the bad affects/constant chest infections start to build up.
Last edited by rimstone; 6 months ago
MagnumKoishi
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by rimstone)
second hand smoke barely affects anyone and is somewhat of a myth/overhyped; research has shown at best ( some come back with no significant coloration ), if you live with a heavy active smoker;i.e: partner and are in closed spaces with them, while they smoke; over years/decades, the passive smoke you inhale, just might affect you, to the level of a light active smoking ( i.e: health risks, such as cancer and heart problems ).

To OP, it ain't that bad, you can pretty much smoke anywhere you want tbh, my mate at UEA used to go to the roff top of his halls and smoker there, some people also smoked in their rooms. As an ex-smoker, defo think of quiting though, waste of money and the bad affects/constant chest infections start to build up.
Even if second hand smoke did not come with any health risks at all, its very unpleasant to walk through it. Dries my eyes out and smells bad, good enough reason to avoid it imo
yaire
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
i've grown up with a dad who smokes a ridiculous amount and it's caused me a lot of health issues, but i suppose doing it on campus wouldn't be so bad. it just makes me angry and is kind of inconsiderate if there's people around in my opinion; i've walked past smokers in the street and come home stinking of it.
rimstone
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by yaire)
i've grown up with a dad who smokes a ridiculous amount and it's caused me a lot of health issues, but i suppose doing it on campus wouldn't be so bad. it just makes me angry and is kind of inconsiderate if there's people around in my opinion; i've walked past smokers in the street and come home stinking of it.
Fair, but you gotta note a few things. Most smokers won't care of the Mild discomfort, at best, theyll give to random people they wont ever see around them, esp if they're having withdrawl from nicotine, or its their regular ingrained time to smoke. Most smokers also can't smell or tase for **** as well ( when i smoked, as the years went by, my sense of taste and smell got worse and worse ) , so most can't even tell how bad they smell or their cig's do.
People are gonna smoke, its extremely addictive and legal ( over a few weeks/months, your not even smoking to get a buzz ( unless its your first cig of the day) you're mostly smoking to fight of nicotine withrawl ). best to just get used to smokers and second hand smoke.
yaire
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
see i still think it's heavily inconsiderate and blatantly rude to say that people should just put up with having their health possibly effected and have to put up with having other people's smoke blown in their faces. it's just not pleasant to a lot of people and makes me so angry whenever i have to deal with that when i'm just trying to walk down the street.
Fair, but you gotta note a few things. Most smokers won't care of the Mild discomfort, at best, theyll give to random people they wont ever see around them, esp if they're having withdrawl from nicotine, or its their regular ingrained time to smoke. Most smokers also can't smell or tase for **** as well ( when i smoked, as the years went by, my sense of taste and smell got worse and worse ) , so most can't even tell how bad they smell or their cig's do.
People are gonna smoke, its extremely addictive and legal ( over a few weeks/months, your not even smoking to get a buzz ( unless its your first cig of the day) you're mostly smoking to fight of nicotine withrawl ). best to just get used to smokers and second hand smoke.
MagnumKoishi
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
It's pretty much no different to me carrying a gamma source around in my top pocket.

It'll give me cancer eventually, and marginally affect the health of those around me.

And I'm sure there's some law against carrying radioactive sources in your pocket in public, so why not against smoking?
rimstone
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by MagnumKoishi)
It's pretty much no different to me carrying a gamma source around in my top pocket.

It'll give me cancer eventually, and marginally affect the health of those around me.

And I'm sure there's some law against carrying radioactive sources in your pocket in public, so why not against smoking?
because, people have been smoking since almost the dawn of Humanity. 20+% of the world Pop smokes ( itll be stupid to try and ban it ( you'll throw millions of people into nicotine W/D and most people can't quit smoking or handle W/D ), best we can do, it stop future gens smoking ) and do i need to mention is extremely addictive , more so than most hard drugs . a gamma source is very different to that, it's not like people will revolt if they ban gamma sources, were as cig's, who knows. I think pricing cig's to make them, unaffordable to young people and people in genral is defo the way to go, banning them when 1 in 5 people are ADDICTED is stupid as hell, and show massive ignorance to addiction and its effects.

Also literally everything gives you cancer ( this doesnt take away from the massive increase of lung cancer cause by smoking ), in chem we learn even breathing ( its not like our air is pure and clean, and our lungs are very delicate ) gives you cancer, in Bio we learn our body fight a of cancer everyday. knowing that some people chose not to allow the risk of cancer/health problems to dictate their life.
MagnumKoishi
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
because, people have been smoking since almost the dawn of Humanity. 20+% of the world Pop smokes ( itll be stupid to try and ban it ( you'll throw millions of people into nicotine W/D and most people can't quit smoking or handle W/D ), best we can do, it stop future gens smoking ) and do i need to mention is extremely addictive , more so than most hard drugs . a gamma source is very different to that, it's not like people will revolt if they ban gamma sources, were as cig's, who knows. I think pricing cig's to make them, unaffordable to young people and people in genral is defo the way to go, banning them when 1 in 5 people are ADDICTED is stupid as hell, and show massive ignorance to addiction and its effects.

Also literally everything gives you cancer ( this doesnt take away from the massive increase of lung cancer cause by smoking ), in chem we learn even breathing ( its not like our air is pure and clean, and our lungs are very delicate ) gives you cancer, in Bio we learn our body fight a of cancer everyday. knowing that some people chose not to allow the risk of cancer/health problems to dictate their life.
Tbh yeah I agree. Banning it outright would not be wise (although I still hold that banning it in public places would be good).
darcydavis18
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Instead of lecturing you, I'll answer the question! You can smoke pretty much anywhere that isn't indoors. E.G. If you want a cig, you'll have to leave your flat rather than just open a window etc. Just be weary of large no smoking signs in certain places.
Toradale
Rep:
?
Hey bud, i really just started this thread to ask a question, not for beef. I know the risks of smoking and i know i should quit. Thanks for your concern x

(Original post by Anonymous)
And yet you still choose to smoke. Very sensible.
Toradale
Rep:
?
Thanks for the informative and detailed answer and for understanding that I am, as an adult, capable of making my own life choices! Greatly appreciated on both fronts!
(Original post by darcydavis18)
Instead of lecturing you, I'll answer the question! You can smoke pretty much anywhere that isn't indoors. E.G. If you want a cig, you'll have to leave your flat rather than just open a window etc. Just be weary of large no smoking signs in certain places.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (66)
15.79%
1 (51)
12.2%
2 (54)
12.92%
3 (86)
20.57%
4 (86)
20.57%
5 (75)
17.94%