The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Smoking at UEA?

Hi! I just finished accepting my accommodation offer for UEA, and they supplied a lot of useful information. The only thing I don’t understand is the situation for smokers - it sounds like smoking is totally banned. For example at one point it said that “smoking paraphernalia” would be confiscated on sight. Is there anywhere on campus where one is allowed to have a cigarette?
Thanks in advance guys xx

Scroll to see replies

My advice would be to quit unless you love being short of breath and having massively increased lung cancer risk in the future.
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
I’ve also just accepted my accommodation offer! You’re allowed to smoke on campus, it just can’t be inside so yeah bring your cigarettes it’s fine
Original post by Toradale
Hi! I just finished accepting my accommodation offer for UEA, and they supplied a lot of useful information. The only thing I don’t understand is the situation for smokers - it sounds like smoking is totally banned. For example at one point it said that “smoking paraphernalia” would be confiscated on sight. Is there anywhere on campus where one is allowed to have a cigarette?
Thanks in advance guys xx
Reply 3
Ok, great, thanks!
Reply 4
Wait, wdym?? Smoking causes lung cancer???????????? Holy ****
Original post by Anonymous
My advice would be to quit unless you love being short of breath and having massively increased lung cancer risk in the future.
Original post by Toradale
Wait, wdym?? Smoking causes lung cancer???????????? Holy ****

And yet you still choose to smoke. Very sensible.
Just stop smoking...
Even without all the health risks, it's a huge waste of money and looks very distasteful in public
Reply 7
Jesus, you people have to chill, if OP wants to smoke so be it, it's his/her life and health.
Reply 8
i somewhat agree with this but it does also harm others (second hand smoking has been a huge problem for me)
Original post by agrew
Jesus, you people have to chill, if OP wants to smoke so be it, it's his/her life and health.
Even if second hand smoke did not come with any health risks at all, its very unpleasant to walk through it. Dries my eyes out and smells bad, good enough reason to avoid it imo
Reply 10
i've grown up with a dad who smokes a ridiculous amount and it's caused me a lot of health issues, but i suppose doing it on campus wouldn't be so bad. it just makes me angry and is kind of inconsiderate if there's people around in my opinion; i've walked past smokers in the street and come home stinking of it.
Reply 11
see i still think it's heavily inconsiderate and blatantly rude to say that people should just put up with having their health possibly effected and have to put up with having other people's smoke blown in their faces. it's just not pleasant to a lot of people and makes me so angry whenever i have to deal with that when i'm just trying to walk down the street.
It's pretty much no different to me carrying a gamma source around in my top pocket.

It'll give me cancer eventually, and marginally affect the health of those around me.

And I'm sure there's some law against carrying radioactive sources in your pocket in public, so why not against smoking?
Tbh yeah I agree. Banning it outright would not be wise (although I still hold that banning it in public places would be good).
Instead of lecturing you, I'll answer the question! You can smoke pretty much anywhere that isn't indoors. E.G. If you want a cig, you'll have to leave your flat rather than just open a window etc. Just be weary of large no smoking signs in certain places.
Reply 15
Hey bud, i really just started this thread to ask a question, not for beef. I know the risks of smoking and i know i should quit. Thanks for your concern x

Original post by Anonymous
And yet you still choose to smoke. Very sensible.
Reply 16
Thanks for the informative and detailed answer and for understanding that I am, as an adult, capable of making my own life choices! Greatly appreciated on both fronts!
Original post by darcydavis18
Instead of lecturing you, I'll answer the question! You can smoke pretty much anywhere that isn't indoors. E.G. If you want a cig, you'll have to leave your flat rather than just open a window etc. Just be weary of large no smoking signs in certain places.
Reply 17
🗿🗿🗿

Original post by MagnumKoishi
Just stop smoking...
Even without all the health risks, it's a huge waste of money and looks very distasteful in public
Reply 18
Ok lads to make it clear I’m not out here arguing that I should be allowed to smoke wherever I want. Nor am I saying that people should just put up with it. I’m not saying that I plan to smoke around people who dislike it. Nor am I saying that smoking is a right or a need. Or anything like that. All I asked was whether UEA allowed smoking and if so, where they allow it. There was no need for any of the heated comments on this thread at all, on either side of the debate. I love you all, please chill <3
Tell them they can try to take your ciggie off ya.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending