The Student Room Group

Work Experience

Hi, everyone. I have a situation. I am currently drafting my personal statement before I go to Year 13 but I've reached a problem. I haven't had a proper work experience which a lot of people use in their personal statements. I've been looking for some work experience to do over the summer which includes engineering because that's what I want to do but I've found nothing. Can someone please help me? I would really appreciate it.
You don't need work experience for an engineering degree, focus on extra reading/watching lectures etc. instead :smile:
Original post by Leonard Okhani
Hi, everyone. I have a situation. I am currently drafting my personal statement before I go to Year 13 but I've reached a problem. I haven't had a proper work experience which a lot of people use in their personal statements. I've been looking for some work experience to do over the summer which includes engineering because that's what I want to do but I've found nothing. Can someone please help me? I would really appreciate it.
Hi. Thanks for the reply. Although you say I don't need work experience for an engineering degree, should I still get some sort of work experience to write about on my personal statement? If so, what do you suggest? Many thanks.
I think you should get work experience. What area would you like to work in? I can look around for you as my school sends me tons of work experience x
https://www.tomorrowsengineers.org.uk/students/work-experience/

Why don’t you ask some car companies if they would let you do work experience with them? Or even your local garage?
I am specifically looking at doing computer and electrical engineering. But I wouldn't mind anything to do with cars. When my class and I went on a Science trip before the summer holiday, my friend and I said that we would love to fix up a car ourselves one day.
Original post by ShyB
I think you should get work experience. What area would you like to work in? I can look around for you as my school sends me tons of work experience x
Hi. Thanks for the reply. Although you say I don't need work experience for an engineering degree, should I still get some sort of work experience to write about on my personal statement? If so, what do you suggest? Many thanks.

Feel free to get work experience, but no need to mention it on your PS if it's not relevant

It only adds value to your personal statement if it's really relevant to what you want to do- and there are lots of other things you can talk about instead, such as reading books and articles, attending open lecture events at unis, summer schools and so on.

If you want to do some work experience for your own benefit, then look for something as closely aligned as possible to the area you want to work in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending