The Student Room Group

quick bio question

Hi guys! One of the correct options for the question is "tissue- specific expression of genes" but what does this mean and how is it related to the question.

7.PNG
Reply 1
Let's first understand the question:
What synonym can be replaced for "impaired"? -damaged
What are laminopathies? -Laminopathies are a group of rare genetic disorders caused by mutations in genes encoding proteins of the nuclear lamina.(Wikipedia)
How does genetic variation affect gene expression in different tissues of the body?
The genetic variations can affect how, where and when genes are expressed in the different tissues of our organism, influencing multiple physiological processes and an indefinite number of features such as height, skin colour. Thus, for example, a Down Syndrome patient has different facial features from a normal patient, that is because Down syndrome is a chromosomal condition that occurs when an error in cell division results in an extra chromosome 21.
Similar to a patient that has laminopathies.

I hope you have understood what I mean.
Tip: Sometimes if you can't find the explanation in your search engine try rearranging the words in a different way or if you have a second language translate it and you may find the answers.

Thank you for your time.
Reply 2
Original post by elgatete
Let's first understand the question:
What synonym can be replaced for "impaired"? -damaged
What are laminopathies? -Laminopathies are a group of rare genetic disorders caused by mutations in genes encoding proteins of the nuclear lamina.(Wikipedia)
How does genetic variation affect gene expression in different tissues of the body?
The genetic variations can affect how, where and when genes are expressed in the different tissues of our organism, influencing multiple physiological processes and an indefinite number of features such as height, skin colour. Thus, for example, a Down Syndrome patient has different facial features from a normal patient, that is because Down syndrome is a chromosomal condition that occurs when an error in cell division results in an extra chromosome 21.
Similar to a patient that has laminopathies.

I hope you have understood what I mean.
Tip: Sometimes if you can't find the explanation in your search engine try rearranging the words in a different way or if you have a second language translate it and you may find the answers.

Thank you for your time.

Thanks a lot! Awkward wording of tissue- specific expression of genes confused me a bit lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending