The Student Room Group

A Level Subjects Unrelated to Uni Course

so my desired uni course, geology, requires 1-2 sciences based on the uni. i have my heart set on maths and bio already but would it be okay to do history as a third a level? or would it be better to do geography since that is closer to the uni course?

i dont really enjoy geography but i wouldn't mind taking it as the units seem interesting! i would rather do history but would this lower my chances of getting into the courses i want?
Original post by cruc1fixxl0vr
so my desired uni course, geology, requires 1-2 sciences based on the uni. i have my heart set on maths and bio already but would it be okay to do history as a third a level? or would it be better to do geography since that is closer to the uni course?

i dont really enjoy geography but i wouldn't mind taking it as the units seem interesting! i would rather do history but would this lower my chances of getting into the courses i want?

Hi there :hello:

I'd definitely advise checking University entry requirements when choosing this a-level. If you're set on geology, check out a few potential Unis you're interested in and then see if they'd accept history.

Best wishes,
Cheese
Reply 2
they do accept history but i don't know if it'll really help for the uni courses. i might still try and do history and see if i enjoy it. thanks

Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Hi there :hello:

I'd definitely advise checking University entry requirements when choosing this a-level. If you're set on geology, check out a few potential Unis you're interested in and then see if they'd accept history.

Best wishes,
Cheese
Reply 3

it depends on the unis you want to apply to, however i would say geograohy would be good preperation into some of the stuff youll be learning in your degree. a quick search of best a levels for geology says geography is absolutely essential but despite this it doesnt seem to be required by all unis either.

for geology maths bio geog would be a strong combination however if you really dont think youd enjoy it or really want to take history i would firstly consider courses to do with history to ensure geology is the best fit for you and secondly i reckon youd would still be alright and get into uni for geology. however its essential that you look into entry requirements of unis you like the sound of.

either way taking maths and bio are good subjects and still keep options open as there is still time for you to change your mind - i thought i was going to take law until december of year 12 then switched to engineering which i couldve never imagined ever happening so honestly just go with the subjects you enjoy. maybe even look at some websites that tell you where youre chosen a levels could take you and look at all possible uni courses there's still time to change your mind.

hope this helps!!

It would be better to do geography since it is closer to the uni course you want to take, even if you don't enjoy it as much. History may lower your chances of getting into the desired course as it is not related to sciences.

Quick Reply

Latest