The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

UoM student budget

hi there!! i'll be starting my first year soon at uni of manchester and i'm looking for ways to budget :smile: so are there any current student/graduates who can share how much money approx. they'd spend monthly on food, transport, going out etc... (everything apart from accomodation) ? also, can the uni help you find a part-time/temporary job or pretty much anything to get some extra cash?
Original post by jane_a
hi there!! i'll be starting my first year soon at uni of manchester and i'm looking for ways to budget :smile: so are there any current student/graduates who can share how much money approx. they'd spend monthly on food, transport, going out etc... (everything apart from accomodation) ? also, can the uni help you find a part-time/temporary job or pretty much anything to get some extra cash?

Hey... I have an offer from UoM for physjcs...

I have a few job ides... you can PM me and I can help you out maybe? would love to be friends
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by Alevelissh*t

I have a few job ides... you can PM me and I can help you out maybe? would love to be friends

so we gonna be in the same course
Original post by jane_a

For food, shop at places like Lidl or Asda (further away from campus). Cook more rather than eating out.

The SU has a jobs website if I'm not wrong, can check there.
Original post by jane_a

Food - £30 weekly on food shopping at places such as aldi, lidl but also sainsbury's
Transport - £200 for a bus pass (essential in getting to and from uni and to the city centre from fallow especially)
Going out - Can be anything lol, my advice would be take a set amount of cash out with you

In general i'd say I spend around £60-70 a week but this can fluctuate, and is quite a lot higher in freshers due to nights out etc

Would recommend signing up to Monzo bank where you can track all your spendings with your card/apple pay and can set budgets to help monitor your money. You can transfer money into your monzo account for each week/month just so you can't spend it all at once!

Jobs wise I work part-time as a safety steward for Showsec they have branches up and down the country and you do big events and shows and it's very flexible. You only have to do 1 shift a month to keep your job and there's a lot to choose from.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by trZ15
Food - £30 weekly on food shopping at places such as aldi, lidl but also sainsbury's
Transport - £200 for a bus pass (essential in getting to and from uni and to the city centre from fallow especially)
Going out - Can be anything lol, my advice would be take a set amount of cash out with you

In general i'd say I spend around £60-70 a week but this can fluctuate, and is quite a lot higher in freshers due to nights out etc

Would recommend signing up to Monzo bank where you can track all your spendings with your card/apple pay and can set budgets to help monitor your money. You can transfer money into your monzo account for each week/month just so you can't spend it all at once!

Jobs wise I work part-time as a safety steward for Showsec they have branches up and down the country and you do big events and shows and it's very flexible. You only have to do 1 shift a month to keep your job and there's a lot to choose from.

thank you very much!! do you remember how much money you/your friends or students in general would spend during fresher's week?
Reply 6
Original post by singzeon
For food, shop at places like Lidl or Asda (further away from campus). Cook more rather than eating out.

The SU has a jobs website if I'm not wrong, can check there.

thank youu!!
Reply 7
Original post by username4907538

yes, i'd be interested but apparently i can't message you..
Original post by jane_a
thank you very much!! do you remember how much money you/your friends or students in general would spend during fresher's week?

well for me being someone who went on majority of the nights out, I spent around £200-250 lol, I would say my friends spent around the same +/- £50. I have heard of a lot of people spending way more than me, like upwards of £500+ and that's just ridiculous, but surprisingly not uncommon.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending