The Student Room Group

Maths GCSE to A-Level Transition

I finished my GCSE's and I'm starting A-levels in a few days. I chose maths as one of my 3 A-Level options, although, I feel it may have been a mistake because I did intermediate tier maths for GCSE, I got a B in my numeracy and maths which is the highest mark I could get but I feel I will quickly crash due to the lack of higher tier math I know. So my question is: Is a-level maths reliant on higher tier topics from gcse or will I be fine with the knowledge I currently posses? Thankyou
you'll prob be ok, a level will have different content - and I just finished a level maths and my year did the old gcse so totally different content too. and if you want to be doing a level maths, the harder gcse topics should be a doddle to learn now you've got more maths lesson time. but do talk to your teachers about it and let them know if you struggle with any of the work. they're there to help you so do ask. also if you do try it for a few weeks and really really struggle then its totally fine to change your options. make sure you're enjoying it too because its so hard to motivate yourself to work if its both difficult and you don't enjoy it. best of luck with it all!
Original post by kitkat013
you'll prob be ok, a level will have different content - and I just finished a level maths and my year did the old gcse so totally different content too. and if you want to be doing a level maths, the harder gcse topics should be a doddle to learn now you've got more maths lesson time. but do talk to your teachers about it and let them know if you struggle with any of the work. they're there to help you so do ask. also if you do try it for a few weeks and really really struggle then its totally fine to change your options. make sure you're enjoying it too because its so hard to motivate yourself to work if its both difficult and you don't enjoy it. best of luck with it all!

yeah haha, thankyou anyways.

Quick Reply

Latest