The Student Room Group

Computers science which subjects to do?

HI i saw the entry requirements for CS on Ucas its says from CDD to AAA could be accepted but what should i do?Should i do Maths,science Gsce?Or do i have to do A levels as well?And at what subjects?I am little bit confused about it to to be honest,i have passed my GSCE english but i dont know what to do next?
Original post by Nikoliaus
HI i saw the entry requirements for CS on Ucas its says from CDD to AAA could be accepted but what should i do?Should i do Maths,science Gsce?Or do i have to do A levels as well?And at what subjects?I am little bit confused about it to to be honest,i have passed my GSCE english but i dont know what to do next?

Just finish all your GCSEs first, and if you can get an ICT or Computer Science GCSE that would be helpful for transitioning to ALevels (but not necessary). Then complete your ALevels, I would suggest either Computer Science or ICT ALevel, Maths ALevel and then whatever else you enjoy.
better CS courses will be A*AA and higher, and will require A level maths
lesser CS courses will go lower and may not require A level maths

you need a GCSE in maths regardless. all other GCSEs are important for your general application
you ought to do A level maths for CS, you may also benefit from further maths (at the competitive end)
Reply 3
Original post by HoldThisL
better CS courses will be A*AA and higher, and will require A level maths
lesser CS courses will go lower and may not require A level maths

you need a GCSE in maths regardless. all other GCSEs are important for your general application
you ought to do A level maths for CS, you may also benefit from further maths (at the competitive end)

When they say At least five Gsces what are other subjects do they mean?
Reply 4
I think they mean the other GCSE's you're doing as well. For example, my school did compulsory English; lit and lang, Maths, Science, and R.E, then you chose 4 others, the five GSCE'S can be your compulsory and your other subject. My apologies if that didn't make any sense
Reply 5
Original post by ZRASOOL1
I think they mean the other GCSE's you're doing as well. For example, my school did compulsory English; lit and lang, Maths, Science, and R.E, then you chose 4 others, the five GSCE'S can be your compulsory and your other subject. My apologies if that didn't make any sense

i get it now but they dont specify exactly they said maths and science but those are just 2 and with english 3 but thanks anyway.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Nikoliaus
When they say At least five Gsces what are other subjects do they mean?

they mean any 5 gcses inclusive of the ones the government says you need to pass
There are times such are this where I wish Decision Mathematics (which includes Algorithms and Graph Theory), and Matrices were part of the regular Mathematics A Level, instead of the Further Mathematics one. Most people who wish to study computer science will not choose the F. Mathematics A Level, and so they will miss out on these key topics, which are very very useful for anyone doing a degree in CS.

P.S. I realize we're talking about GCSEs, I just thought this was relevant.
Reply 8
Maths is a MUST at A-Level! Computer Science would help but not everything, most courses cover basics at the start of the course in the first term anyway but would help if you did it at GCSE and A-Level also it would make sure you actually want to do it at uni by getting a taster for it.

Quick Reply

Latest