The Student Room Group

Are these good gcse options (for medicine in future)

Physics
Biology
Chemistry
Maths (higher)
English
English Lit
History
Geography
Computer Science
Religious Studies

as mentioned , I want to do medicine in future ..I know A levels matter more but UK laws change every day and they might scrap A levels so..
Reply 1
I mean for medicine it doesn't matter what you do at GCSEs much you can still do the subjects at A-level regardless of which GCSEs you take as long as you have the appropriate grades. Triple Science would help but it is not necessary. It is your A-levels that determine what courses you can do at university not your GCSEs so keep that in mind.
Reply 2
your gcse choices won't necessarily affect your chances of getting into medicine, what's the most important is you're securing as many top grades, i.e ideally 9s but some unis will view 8s as the same as 9s, as possible
triple science will probably be the best in terms of helping the transition to a-level but doing combined won't necessarily disadvantage you.

out of the ones you've listed, for the other subjects that aren't maths/english/science, i personally, going back to when i made my gcse choices, would've just chosen the easiest subjects to get a 9 in as for many medical schools, their selection process includes a points system in which you get points depending on your top 8 or so GCSE grades, and so choosing GCSE's that you know you can get high marks in will generally help you the most
but again, i didn't get all 9s for my GCSEs and i got 4/4 medicine interviews, as all unis pretty much use their own selection process.

basically those are good options imo if you're confident you can do very well in them and also that you enjoy them. i did history and geography at gcse and enjoyed them a lot, and got 9s in both of them so if you need any help in the future you're welcome to ask me ^^
Original post by Alm_xo
Physics
Biology
Chemistry
Maths (higher)
English
English Lit
History
Geography
Computer Science
Religious Studies

as mentioned , I want to do medicine in future ..I know A levels matter more but UK laws change every day and they might scrap A levels so..

Your GCSE subjects don't matter outside of the national curriculum subjects you have to take anyway (maths, English language, at least combined science), just your grades (which dependent on the uni - quite a few medical schools don't score GCSEs at all and just have minimum requirements in English language and maths, and occasionally science).

No idea what your implication that there is some kind of legal framework which determines medical school academic requirements comes from, but that's definitely not how it works...

They aren't going to scrap A-levels with an election year coming up. Not to mention they couldn't just stop offering them it would be a phased rollout of whatever the replacement is.
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest