The Student Room Group

Preparation for A level maths

Hi, I want to know how can I prepare myself for the a level maths in the coming September?
Original post by Nickel fungi
Hi, I want to know how can I prepare myself for the a level maths in the coming September?

Will you be sitting exams or starting year 12?
Look up the specification (you should find the exam board you are with on your sixth form prospectus) to get an idea of what content you will cover.

I'd then say pick an online resource to give yourself a taster of some of the A level content. I would suggest BicenMaths if you are doing Edexcel or TLMaths if you are doing AQA.

I believe there is also a CGP guide called 'an introduction to A level maths', but I could be wrong about the title. I used to own a copy of it and I thought it was really helpful.

EDIT: the title of the aforementioned book is "Head Start to A-Level Maths".
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by thrivingfrog
Will you be sitting exams or starting year 12?

I’ll start year 12 this September
Reply 4
Original post by TypicalNerd
Look up the specification (you should find the exam board you are with on your sixth form prospectus) to get an idea of what content you will cover.

I'd then say pick an online resource to give yourself a taster of some of the A level content. I would suggest BicenMaths if you are doing Edexcel or TLMaths if you are doing AQA.

I believe there is also a CGP guide called 'an introduction to A level maths', but I could be wrong about the title. I used to own a copy of it and I thought it was really helpful.

EDIT: the title of the aforementioned book is "Head Start to A-Level Maths".

the exam board my school will take is OCR and Ty for the advice. I’ll have a look in the specification
the exam board my school will take is OCR and Ty for the advice. I’ll have a look in the specification

As far as I can tell, this channel seems to be an OCR resource: https://www.youtube.com/@mbmathematicstuition324/videos

See if your sixth forms website has any transition work for you to complete, if not you take a look at the specification if you know which exam board you're doing, and have a refresh over the first few topics- they build on GCSE so you should be somewhat familiar with them

u dont need to do anything in the summer g, relax a levels are very hard and ull wish for a break.. maybe if u rly want spend last few days going over stuff that comes up in a level from gcses? like quadratics , trig, indicies laws of powers etc? also ur school will prob have transition booklet to do. if they do , just do that and ull be fine

Quick Reply

Latest